D7100 Vs. D5300 for video?

3 posts
Yehade
Options:
Share this post on:

D7100 Vs. D5300 for video?

Postby Yehade » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Was just about to purchase the D7100, but took a closer look at the d5300 and had some reservations. Don't use AF, not troubled by the build and swingout screen (though I wish the D5300 was weather sealed, which is a big consideration), and I can swing the price difference. I saw D7100 but didn't see Nikon D5300 review. Maybe somebody has experience with it? Looking for some guidance purely on IQ and low light performance for video, thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by Yehade on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
clarecarrierphoto
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Travel Photography: Off camera flash

Postby clarecarrierphoto » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:53 am

I'm sure the majority of people here don't even know what off camera flash is. You can easily get good portraits without off camera flash and use natural light entirely. I would say it depends on your luggage allowance - if space/weight allows I would take the DSLR and off camera flash. If not, stick to the mirrorless.
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Travel Photography: Off camera flash

Postby dudette » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:37 am

Jeez, it’s a holiday, not a photo shoot! Are you going to lug around a light stand to put your flash on? And an umbrella to soften it? I have taken my flash with me a few times on big trips and can honestly say I’ve never used it. You have to be fairly advanced to balance OC flash with ambient. If you really must, take a reflector but I would suggest you do some research into reading and using natural light (which is way harder than most people think) and see the holiday as a learning opportunity for putting it into practice. I take my big DSLR with me on every trip and am so fed up with lugging it around. I’ve been looking for a small mirrorless substitute but not managed to decide on one yet. If yours is good I’d be inclined to stick with that, assuming it has interchangeable lenses or a very good zoom (and use the flash for fill in when needed). But remember to look out from behind the viewfinder occasionally and actually enjoy the holiday. Oh and give the camera to your wife or a passing stranger occasionally so you end up in some of the photos too. Have a great trip!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.