Help! How do I occupy my 18 mth old on a nine hr flight?

8 posts
KEMS
Options:
Share this post on:

Help! How do I occupy my 18 mth old on a nine hr flight?

Postby KEMS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi there,

In a few weeks we are flying to the USA with our 18 month old. He will be sitting in our laps and we do not have a separate seat for him.

I'm searching for ways to occupy him on the flight - I'm collecting toys he has never seen before to bring out one by one slowly over the course of the journey.

But I'm also looking for ideas about electronic games. Does anyone know of any games (I'm thinking like a nintendo or something hand held) designed for 18 month ish age babies? I am under the impression there are hand held consoles out there but I'm not sure what they are called or how to look for them!

Any ideas about ways to occupy my son, or any names / brands of hand held electronic games would be very welcome!!

Thanks NV.
moops
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help! How do I occupy my 18 mth old on a nine hr flight?

Postby moops » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi!

I have a few tips having flown to Australia alone with my then 16 month old Son. He didn't have his own seat either but thankfully we had a spare one next to us, well there was someone there but they chose to leave. Go figure?!

At that age I wouldn't bother with game consoles as my Son is now 3.5 and they are still too old for him. Do you have an iPhone? I would definitely recommend downloading loads of games, videos and tv shows that he likes. Good games are Tozzle (puzzles), peppa pig, toy story etc.

Other things you could bring are colouring book and pencils, stickers etc. I would recommend buying new ones that he hasnt seen before and give then to him in spaced intervals!

We also bought a portable DVD player which has been invaluable! If you don't have an iPhone maybe invest in an iTouch?
susiep23
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby susiep23 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 pm

hi. what about like a leap frog book that reads the story to you?? im sure they have diffrent age levels and games. Also colouring, stories and def dvd player type console for nght garden etc would kill some hours :)
acachildcarers
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby acachildcarers » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:00 pm

I must say colouring, chalks, glitter pens, paper, stories, puzzles, singing, some childrens CDS (get up and do a bit of dancing!), action rhymes (row row the boat and ring-a-roses), portable dvd players, playdough (mini pots) they all have fared well for families before!
grigorjoy
Share this post on:

Postby grigorjoy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I've done that leg a number of times now and I'd recommend flying the red eye If you can as even if you don't sleep they'll hopefully be too tired to want to run around.

I bought a few new toys for the journey and downloaded all sorts of Peppa Pig, Baby Einstein, etc episodes on my iPhone but he quickly grew bored of both options. He played with his old favourites longest (building blocks which we'd take turns building and knocking down and a few of those battery operated books). I spent a lot of time letting him walk before we got on the plane so he wouldn't want to spend the entire flight running up and down the aisle - that was only the last 2 hours! Also I lucked out as the people beside me quite liked him so they helped entertain him. And also a good variety of snacks kept him happy.

Good luck and safe travels!
https://www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk/family-holidays
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
http://travelmatters.co.uk
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
http://www.serjac.com/
kewty
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kewty » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 am

finger puppets have always worked well for us, but we have only had to cope with short flights to the alps! Good Luck! Kx
dollymum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dollymum » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 am

oo yes have done that flight for years - first time my eldest was 6 weeks and now she is nearly 13 - so I feel your pain.
best you can do for that age really is what all these clever mummies have already suggested - fave videos, new toys, colouring. Afraid that will only amuse for a finite time and you will have to accept grumbles along the way .
Suggestions: fave foods that won't go sour on the plane as kiddie meals not terribly good. Jarred or sealed foil packets good choice as they won't go bad no matter how long the flight. Lots of munchie finger foods. And something to suck on take off and landing as some ears are very sensitive and you won't know until you are enveloped in the hazy cloud of panic that comes when screaming child on your lap lets out a howl and you are recipient of nasty glares thrown at you from unsympathetic passengers !

Good luck and remember - it will all be funny stories in 10 years time...
leslos
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby leslos » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:23 pm

I would recommend wrapping some of the items up as amuses them opening them and takes a little longer. I also took along a picnic my son was not provided with any food and it kept him busy for a while. Also worth asking at check in if there are any spare seats to give you a bit of space.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.