Car Clubs... Would you, could you??

11 posts
DudleyR
Options:
Share this post on:

Car Clubs... Would you, could you??

Postby DudleyR » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:37 am

You may have noticed in your street some hire cars called things like "Street Car"; some of you may even know that, subject to a membership fee, these vehicles can be rented by the hour. According to a recent Wandsworth Council web post, over 10,000 residents in the borough have signed up to the scheme (at a cost of about £50/year).
I think that car clubs have the potential to be a great way to reduce the number of vehicles fighting our over-crowded parking spaces. My wife says she's no interest in using one. Overall, we are probably both right; a great idea that will never touch the lives of most of us.
However, Wandsworth council plans to raise the number of spaces for such cars from 31 to 150 over 4 months and long term to 1,000. They don't say what "long term" is, or how many people they think this will encourage to join. If I were a cynic, and luckily I am, by the end of the year you 10,000 members will get to share one of 150 cars, meaning that if you left the engine running 24/7 all year, each of you get to use a car on average 5.5 days per year. How you travel the other 359.5 days a year isn't clear.
However, I'm not here to rubbish a noble cause; I want to pose the question "why not join?" Given the council is going to waste, sorry I meant "wisely spend", your money taking up your resident bays to repaint them with the words "car club only", I think local parents should offer their views on how a car club could be an attractive alternative to a second (or even 1st, 3rd etc) car.
For me, the lack of car seats already somewhere in the car renders car clubs useless; I don't have room for two car seats in my flat, and even if I did I couldn't carry them, a buggy, two children... you get the point... to and from a hire car 100 yards from my home. So what's your excuse?
We already know Nappy Valley parents are amongst the brightest people on the planet* so let's help the council to maximise the useful potential of these schemes - after all, it your council tax that's being spent on this whether it works or not.
(*not yet independently verified)
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Car Clubs... Would you, could you??

Postby 2009Kat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:25 am

Your point about car clubs and children is a ver valid one -we had exactly this problem. We used the streetcars for many years and had virtually no problems. However when our baby was around 9 months old, we cracked and bought a car as it would have been impossible for me to lug a car seat to a car plus baby etc (easy peasy with an infant carrier though). Streetcar actually called me to ask why I wasn't using the cars like I used to and informed me they had no plans to add car seats to the cars - I can understand the logistical difficulties in this. We still maintain membership though for the (rare) times when both my husband and i need to use a car.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:23 am

I'm not thrilled at the prospect of the loss of more street parking tbh

We considered using streetcar when we only had one child but instead we would hire a car from one of the rental places in Kennington

I wouldn't use streetcar now as I have 3 kids in car seats
Not sure they have any cars that are big enough
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:53 pm

I think I need to add on this post our experience of being a member...

We have been streetcar members since they first arrived in Clapham Junction, at the time it was not an annual membership fee but a deposit (which you would got back from the moment you would closed your account).
I was very reluctant at first and my husband had to really talk me into it. We first join when my husband moved from the private sector to the public sector and therefore lost his company car.

Now I lead a carless life which is much cheaper (and gives you a freedom you would not experience with a car) than having a car sitting in the street for about 4days per week. I use the bus and the train (now that CJ has finally open the stair free entrance it is really easy) and cabs/minicabs anytime I need. Still cheaper than having a car.
We have 2 children (2,5yrs and 14 months) and the car seats are at home. We'll put them in a streetcar as we need. OK I winge sometimes because having a car ready to go would be easier when running a bit late, but mostly it works perfectly and I learned to be organised.
We drove to Ireland for our holidays this year and we hired a car, this time from Hertz as streetcar put their prices up during July and August to stop people from taking a car on holidays. Fair enough.

Mainly, anytime I need a car whether it is the weekdays or w-e we almost never had a problem. I am surprised at the figure of 150 cars in wandsworth as this seem very small. We know at least about 30 people who are fulltime (people who dont have a car or sold it) streetcar users. Really in London (or any capital) you dont need to have a car...
For the w-e it is true that you should book your car on the wednesday latest because it is very popular. I understand the argument that it kills the spontaneity but I would say that you learn to do otherwise. I love telling my children and husband on the wednesday that I have prepared a surprise for the w-e and we will all go in the car and seeing the joy and sparkles on their face at the prospect of it, and this make it for the loss of spontaneity...

Anyway, I understand everybody is not necessarily happy at the idea of sharing a car and living in a sort of car community. It works for us and for others.
Give it a go, you might enjoy it. It has been 6yrs for us...
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:54 pm

@Goldhawk: they do actually have big cars for large families!
http://www.serjac.com/
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
https://www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk/family-holidays
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
http://travelmatters.co.uk
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm

yes I see they have VW tourans

how do you know what size car is parked where? I've only ever seen the Golfs and the Streetvans
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 pm

@goldhawk: if you check streetcar website and you browse by location you can see what is where. Alternatively and to save some time i would give them a call and they would tell you straight away.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:26 pm

The council are cracking on with the new parking spaces - I've seen a new one marked v near us
cheshirecat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cheshirecat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:30 am

I actually use street car and I have three children. Our solution is for one of us to pick up the car, bring it back and put the seats in. But this can be a pain. I have been thinking for months on how streetcar could appeal to the family market. I considered getting a street car in our parking space as a solution (rather than where it currently is 5 minutes walk away). When I contacted them they said they are only interested in putting a streetvan on our space and obviously this was of even less use to me!
My alternative came in the form of a harnesses that attaches to the seat (they sell them in the USA/ebay) and a trunki boostapak for my older child, so if we are not going out of London this has been our main method, for out of town we come home and put the proper seats in. The infant seat is easy but it is the middle years (2-5) when the seat becomes a problem and lugging one of those seats to the streetcar is impossible.

Maybe we mothers need to push more and get a series of family streetcars!!
http://travelmatters.co.uk
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
dancing_queen59
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dancing_queen59 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:13 am

What is this harness that attaches to the seat?
cheshirecat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cheshirecat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 pm

It's called a ride safer travel vest. I'm sure there are ways of getting one here in the UK. We bought ours in Brazil as they sell most US products there. Here is what they look like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Child-Restraint ... _500wt_715
Ours is a little different as it actually goes onto the seat itself and has a 5 point harness. I cannot find a link for them outside Brazil though.

so handy for car clubbing.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.