Overnight or daytime flights for 2 year old & 11 month old?

9 posts
ajm62
Options:
Share this post on:

Overnight or daytime flights for 2 year old & 11 month old?

Postby ajm62 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:19 am

We are thinking of travelling to Dubai for hols. DD will be 2yrs 5 months and DS just coming up for 11 months. The flight is 6-7 hours and we will be flying economy.

The flights outbound go either daytime or overnight. Coming back they are either daytime or night time (but not departing til 1 or 2am). Would we better to do daytime or night time flights either/both ways? I'm not sure what could potentially be worse - trying to keep the kids entertained that long in a confined space during the day, or risking them not sleeping at night and disturbing the fellow passengers?

Should we buy an extra/4th seat for DS? Sounds silly as he can't really sit in it alone but then again a 6 hour flight holding baby could be a bit much...what would you do? Would you buy it to give US extra room or would you actually use it for DD, or even DS to use (esp. if flying night time - so the toddler atleast can lay out fully)?

I don't know whether DS will be too heavy/old/long for a bassinet/sky cot. What are BA's infant seats like? - do they recline and can they strap onto the bulkhead too? I have heard that things like this can't be reserved in advance so if we don't get one and we don't have the extra seat are we going to have a nightmare? - or if you have the 4th seat are they less likely to allocate you one as a result? Will they let one child sleep on the floor if we have a row to ourselves?

Anyone got experience of this?

Advice needed please..!!!
anootka
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Overnight or daytime flights for 2 year old & 11 month old?

Postby anootka » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 am

We did that flight when my 1st one was 10 months and I just found out I was pregnant. We thought the night flight would be better. But it was not at all. The flight is only 6 hours, by the time they settle in their chairs or on your lap you've only got about 4 1/2 hours left, it's not long enough for anyone to get any rest or sleep for that matter, we were shattered when we got in and slept until the afternoon. On the way back we had a day flight and it was much easier. I loved Dubai and when we go again definitely doing the day flight.
A
Twirly
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Twirly » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:14 pm

We flew to New Zealand last year with our then 18mth old daughter. We bought an additional seat so the 3 of us were together on the block by the window. We requested bulkhead seats (which are the ones that have the attachments for the bassinet/sky cot). Our daughter was just small enough to fit in the bassinet still at 18mths.It's like one of those reclining baby chairs so it doesn't matter if their legs lop over the end. Worst bit was having to take them out in turbulence.

Of the first 12hr stretch to Bangkok she slept for 7hrs - luxury - so we made use of the bassinet! On the way back she only slept for 45mins a go in the whole 20hr flight back from Sydney so less use made of it! But that's where the additional space from extra seat came in handy.

To be honest she didn't really sit in the seat we'd bought for more than a few minutes at a time but the extra space was great on that long flight - i couldn't imagine having another passenger next to us!

Best bit of bulkhead seats are that our daughter could sit on the floor and play with the things we'd brought to amuse her, and she could have a little toddle round the space and in and out of the stewards area which is just in front of the bulkheads.

Good Luck!
emmie
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby emmie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Gulf Air fly to Dubai. They have their own in flight sky nannies who are actually Norland trained so book with them on a day flight would be my advice :)
Txmom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Txmom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:12 am

We just did this flight in November with my twin 3 year old boys. I agree that the night flight was really hard because its not long enough and the time difference is only 4 hours too. We were to take off just before 10pm but they still serve a meal which was around 11pm or later and the kids were not willing to sleep until around 1am but then there was only about 2.5 hours left before we landed! I would do an earlier flight next time. We flew a day flight back and it was fine. I'm to cheap to buy an extra seat for those under 2 but I can see the benefits as I felt the pain when they were about 18 months and refused to fly again until they were 2!! So I think its just a matter of weighing up the pros and cons but if you aren't bothered by the cost, then go for it. I would say however that we were lucky and had 6 seats between the 4 of us when we went so you might get lucky and get an extra seat anyway if its not full. good luck!
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
https://www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk/family-holidays
http://travelmatters.co.uk
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
http://www.serjac.com/
BalhamMumWorkingFT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:10 am

I have flown by myself to NYC with 2 little ones (2 and 3) and fly at least once a year if not more with both of mine at least 8 hours (I am from the US). I will ALWAYS try to fly daytime.... I am awake and they are awake so no one loses sleep (or at least that is the theory). I can't sleep well on the planes so an overnight flight just ends in cranky kids and a horribly exhausted Mummy (and Daddy). Bring lots of snacks and "new toys", take advantage of in flight entertainment (if possible), and remember it is only 6 hours of your life... Good Luck and HAVE FUN! x
secondtimer
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby secondtimer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:12 am

We have done the flight a few times and find the day flights easier. Most operators have good seat back entertainment, although worth getting some chunky headphones as most give out earbuds which young children may struggle with. We found we were less exhausted after a day flight and less worried about upsetting fellow fliers.

Our daughter went in the bassinet at 11 months and had her own seat at 21 months. It gives you a bit more leg space/ them more room to lie down and stops you being sat with a stranger. It can become a juggling act with meal trays (mine tended to kick them) if you don't have the extra seat.
secondtimer
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby secondtimer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am

Just to clarify on the bassinet... My daughter was quite light for her age (9kg I think) and too long to sleep in it comfortably. But she did enjoy being perched up high and overseeing the rest of the plane. (she looked like a little bird in a nest!). and it gave us somewhere to put her while we ate our meal.

We flew with emirates who have a good selection of flights. I'm pretty sure the bassinet was reserved.

One thing to note, in any turbulence you can't use the bassinet till the seat belt sign is switched off again. Something our captain was a bit slow at doing!
Deb
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Deb » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:05 am

BA's reclining baby seats are great for bigger babies who want to look around while awake.

Just a tip for when a bigger babe is sleeping on your lap , it helps to put them in a sleeping bag which catches little legs sliding off yours.

I flew to SA with my 18 month old and she was so noisy and awake in the baby seat that I kept her on my lap all night where she slept. On the way there I really struggled with her legs constantly falling off as she moved about and barely got a wink myself. On the way back I put on the sleeping back and oh bliss, a leg would slide off and I didn't have to worry and got some shut eye myself.

Have fun!
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
http://travelmatters.co.uk

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.