Help while travelling with 2 kids?

7 posts
Mimi54
Options:
Share this post on:

Help while travelling with 2 kids?

Postby Mimi54 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:30 am

Hi,

I would like to be able to go to France with my two kids (one is 2 and the other one is 4 months old) but without my partner by Eurostar or by plane.

Do you know if there is any way that I can get some help at the train station / on the train / at the airport / on the plane? I'm happy to pay for it.

Thanks!

Mimi
Almaceti
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help while travelling with 2 kids?

Postby Almaceti » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Mimi, I often take the Eurostar with my 2 kids (now 5 and 2 but I also did it when the little one was a baby). I don't know if you can pay for specific help (maybe if you travel in business class?), I have always managed by myself but it is not easy, especially when you have to pass through the eletronic gates at the customs: you have to take off coats, baby out off the buggy... nobody's here to help you and everyone is pushing behind...
Apart from that, I think the Eurostar staff is usually friendly and helpful; they give you access to the lifts to go on the plateform, and once on the plateform you can always ask one of them to help getting in the train, carrying the buggy and luggages.
Once in the train, it is very unfortunate there is not more entertainment for kids, and the seats are very small (I took the TGV in France last month and it was so much better!). Basically I spend usually at least half of the journey walking with the kids between the carriages, or at the bar.
that's not ideal journey conditions but at least it's fast. good luck
mumoftwoboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumoftwoboys » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi Mimi

I was in Paris last weekend with my two boys (aged 3 and 10 months) and my husband, we went on the Eurostar and I have to say that I would have struggled if I didn't have my husband with me! We booked a seat for our 3 year old (I think kids under the age of 5 don't have to pay but you would have to have them on your lap if the train was full)! We had a suitcase, buggy and changing bag as well as a bag each so our hands were pretty full! Getting on and off the train was the hard part with all our luggage and if you don't rush to get on the train you may not have enough space to put your bags, we did notice a few people having to rearrange bags in order to get theirs in. Once on the train it was fine, my 3 year old loved it and I had put some games and films onto my iPad for him to use which made the time fly by. My 10 month old slept for about an hour which was great as he really wanted to jump down and crawl the rest of the time. All in all it was an ok travel experience, getting on and off the trains was pretty stressful but the actual journey was great but I know I wouldn't want to do it on my own with two young kids. I would rather fly as then I wouldn't have to deal with loading the luggage myself!
Hope that helps!
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi, I've not done it as yet with my 2 (2 yr old and 5 month old) but will be in May.

However, I did travel business class in September when I was heavily pregnant and the staff couldn't have been more helpful at both ends. Helped with my bags through security, on/off the train, getting me settled whilst on the train etc. Therefore, I'm sure if you pay for business class seats, then you'll be well looked after. They literally couldn't do enough for me and at £450 return I thought that the level of service I received was a bargain, I felt like a celebrity!
evainlondon
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby evainlondon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:12 am

Hi,
All you have to do is ask for assistance when you arrive - as people said the staff are usually very friendly. Unfortunately you cannot book it in advance, and in Paris they are usually quite slow to show up (up to 15-20 min), but it is free and useful. Once you have boarded, just ask the train manager to request assistance with your luggage - it is meant to wait for you at the door of your coach once in Paris but as I said you might end up waiting a bit!
Once on the train, I agree between coaches or bar is probably the best.

Good luck and enjoy your stay!
Eva

http://evainlondon.wordpress.com - Les impertinentes chroniques d'une Française à Londres
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
http://www.serjac.com/
http://travelmatters.co.uk
https://www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk/family-holidays
Mimi54
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mimi54 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Thanks a lot for all your answers, that's very helpful!

It sounds like it's as hard as I imagined... The business ticket sounds like a good option but the problem is that I need to take a TGV from another train station in Paris after my journey on the Eurostar so realistically, it's probably impossible for me to travel on my own with the little ones! I might have to wait for them to grow up a bit...

Thanks again
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:02 am

Hi mimi
Depending on the final destination of your second journey, you should consider changing trains in lille rather than paris, that way you stay (pretty much for all TGVs) in the same station. All you ll have to do is change platforms.
I have taken the eurostar with my two v often now. For me it is really easy. I dont bother adking for assistance anymore. I find that we are all human beings and asking nicely a gentleman on the platfirm to help me is all i need ;) seriously people are nice dont be afraid or embarrassed to ask. And yes be first on the train! Good luck it is fun and important for children to learn to travel AND help. My 3 yrs old is now v good she d say "shall i help you maman" trying to lift the huge suitcase :lol:

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.