Tips please on family holidays

4 posts
New to Earlsfield
Options:
Share this post on:

Tips please on family holidays

Postby New to Earlsfield » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:14 pm

We are off on our first family holiday this weekend and desperate for tips, namely around packing at the moment. We have a four year old and a one year old. We are staying in a self catering villa for one week and a hotel bed and breakfast the second week. I have been trying to pack lightly but curious to know what people do re plane journeys, how much to take for a four year old to play with in terms of toys, pens, paper, etc, also do we take the ipad so she can have some down time with cartoons etc? Really not sure what other families do. Am keen to have a good holiday and know it will take some planning and organising so do please share any tips.
JustUsTravel
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Tips please on family holidays

Postby JustUsTravel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:57 am

http://www.facebook.com/singlemumtravels?ref=hl

Can i just say how pleased i am that you have chosen to travel with your family. Where are you off to?
I have travelled with my daughter, now 5 since she was 8 months old. It has been trial and error a lot of the time. I have set up a facebook page and a blog to document some of my travels but mainly to inspire and help other families travel and give them the confidence to do it.
Please do visit my page, i would love you to feedback on your holiday.
Tips:
I would give the four year old her own backpack. I had a LittleLife backpack for my daughter which has the 'lead' attached. This way they feel as though they are carrying their own toys. I usually take 'three stories' or a book with lots of stories in.
I have found that the wipe clean writing or colouring books are great to take with you. I usually take a small pack of colours and one colouring book. When she was younger lego was good. simple snap cards are also great. I used to take the 'pocket books' on in the night garden or Ben and holly...
As for beach things, bucket, spade etc..you can get these when you're there. A good sarong is a great idea..makes a lovely play mat.
Are you also taking a UV beach tent? These are great for this kids and provide a welcome break from the sun and a great play tent.
When you are there a small blow up boat makes a good buy and a little paddling pool for on the beach or at the appartment.
It depends on where you are going but nappies etc can be bought when out there, no point in clogging up your bags!
On the plane, if it is not long haul then the ipad does work a treat...preload their favourite shows..although ive had to set some boundaries with mine whilst away as lilly wanted it all the time!
I have a lot more tips! visit my page.
Thanks, good luck
Hannah@justustravel
BalhamMumWorkingFT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Take the ipad. You'll need it and it is good distraction.

I took that, a few new sticker books, and then bought a magazine or two at the airport in the WH Smith. That seemed to do it.

I like the own backpack idea. And it will be useful to have around anyways.

Plenty of wipes and nappies will be good for the plane. The one year old will spend time "walking" around the plane with one of you so just prepare for up and down...

Other than that, I usually take a travel clothes washing kit with me so that I can hand wash some stuff so that we can get lots and lots of wear out of limited amounts of clothing.

Have fun. Sounds fab!
New to Earlsfield
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby New to Earlsfield » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks both for sharing your tips which I will definitely use.We are off to Italy.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.