Mexico in Jan with kids

4 posts
MMmmm
Options:
Share this post on:

Mexico in Jan with kids

Postby MMmmm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:51 am

We're thinking of taking our 14 month old and our 3.5 year old to Playa del Carmen, Mexico for a beach holiday this coming January.

Lots of people seem to go to the Caribbean and Mauritius but Mexico doesn't seem to feature. None of the travel agents came back to us with any Mexico options. Are we missing something? Has anyone got any experience of taking kids to Mexico? Was it a good experience?

We're also looking to tag on 4 days to the end of the all inclusive package and are looking for suggestions of where to go in the Yucatan. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
LP73
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Mexico in Jan with kids

Postby LP73 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:27 pm

I've been to Mexico a number of times and many people are put off with the flight times. Whilst it only appears to be a little further on the map it can be up to a 13 hour flight if the winds are against you - a long flight if travelling with little ones.
Whilst food hygiene has greatly improved over the years, you still have to be careful where ever you eat in Mexico, especially in the holiday resorts as their food handling still isn't as good as other destinations so good poisoning tends to be higher.
On the play side the temperature in January is fantastic and they cater well for families albeit more for older children. If you are flying into Cancun the drive is really long which again if you tag it onto a long flight it can end up making the journey very long.
Chichen Itza is amazing to visit but def not for children under around 10 as it gets very hot even in January with no breeze.
I've only stayed in the Intercontinental in Yacatan but very nice albeit it the usual business type of hotel.
If you're looking for a beach hotel have a look at somewhere like the Reef Yukatan.
Best of luck in your travels :-)
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:46 pm

Yes it's great and there are lots of good hotels in both Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. I found the food great, plenty of amazing fish for example. However if you're going just for a beach holiday, wow it's a long way to go with that age group.

Totally depends on how adventurous you are, there are some amazing sights and activities, but how restricted will you be? Obviously I can't answer that! What about Dubai or Oman which looks more interesting to me than Dubai.

Enjoy!
emsken
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby emsken » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:49 am

It Is so beautiful there!! Get in touch with Katrina Trotter who is an expert in Central America!

http://katrinatrottertravel.com katrina@katrinatravel.com

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.