NHS vs Private Mental Health support

2 posts
M&mmum
Options:
Share this post on:

NHS vs Private Mental Health support

Postby M&mmum » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Hello, asking for a male friend of mine who is going through depression.

Having been referred to the Crisis Team in Fulham & Hammersmith, they have given him medication for depression a few weeks ago, however it seems there is no link between the NHS psychiatrist who prescribes the meds and NHS talk therapy.
How can he just be given medication without follow-up therapy? Is this normal?? 

Which leads me to ask if anyone knows of a private psychotherapist/psychologist or mental health clinic close to Fulham where my friend can get an all-round treatment, including medication review and talk therapy.
Not The Priory hospital as he wants to avoid hospital settings.

All advice and recommendation welcome!

Thank you!

psychologist
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: NHS vs Private Mental Health support

Postby psychologist » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:51 pm

I agree it's a shame medication review and therapy aren't tied in together. He definitely does need to have his medication reviewed - if the crisis team psychiatrist hasn't arranged this he should make an appointment with his GP (GPs are the largest prescribers of antidepressants so should be able to review with him for safety/efficacy). Your friend can self refer into talking therapy for hammersmith and fulham (as can everyone across UK) and they aim to offer an accessible and timely service. From their website he could opt for a group (improving mood or mindfulness based cognitive therapy both useful for depression) or individual therapy. Medication has to be prescribed and reviewed by a GP or psychiatrist so if he wanted private therapy tied into this it would have to be at a clinic where a psychiatrist is based. I'm afraid I don't have a specific recommendation for that. Psychiatrist will charge a lot more per hour than a psychologist or psychotherapist.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.