- Soft. Merino wool proves to be delightfully soft due to its fineness. It ranges from 14.5 to 23.5 microns, while a human hair is 30 microns thick! Fine Merino wool fiber can bend much more than coarser wool fibers. High quality Merino wool fabric doesn’t require any softener or conditioner. It is 3 times softer than natural silk.
- Elastic. Merino wool fabrics let the body move freely thanks to their molecular structure. The fiber may be safely stretched from 25 to 30% of its natural length. It will regain its original shape after stretching up to 50% of length when wet! You’ll be surprised to know that Merino wool is 5 times more elastic than cotton.
- Absorbent. Known for its moisture-wicking qualities, Merino is also water-repellent. It soaks up to 30% of its weight still feeling dry because of the fiber scale structure. Wool is perfect for any climate type and weather conditions as it absorbs moisture from the humid environment and releases it to the drier atmosphere.
- Warm and Cool. As Merino wool fabrics have low heat conductivity, they feel like they have in-built climate control. Tiny scales on the fiber surface and the crimp in the fiber create ‘air pockets’ that keep you warm when it’s cold outside and cool when the weather is hot. A natural insulator, wool is worn by Bedouins in Sahara Desert and used in mattress-making for the same purpose – body temperature regulation.
- Hypoallergenic. It is well-known that Merino wool is beneficial for allergy and asthma sufferers. Recent medical research shows that fine Merino wool garments worn next to the skin are a natural remedy against eczema. They act as ‘second skin’ and stabilize the humidity level and the micro-climate of the skin surface. They reduce such symptoms as itch, skin redness and rush, especially in children and people with dermatological problems.
- As Merino fiber creates an anti-microbial environment, it is not prone to emanating unpleasant odors.
- Pliable, elastic and resilient, Merino wool clothes resist wrinkles and drape well.
- Merino wool absorbs moisture vapor. This is the reason why it is static resistant and flame retardant.
- Merino is a 100% natural and renewable sustainable resource. It is also biodegradable, organic and environmentally friendly.
Watch this space for more sustainable ranges in swimwear and lingerie comes Spring 2022 at Amélie's follies...