Tooting Bec’s popular lido has amended its opening hours to allow swimmers more of a chance to enjoy its cooling waters this summer.
From July 11 a new timetable will be in place with extended opening times and more opportunities to enjoy a refreshing dip.
And while people are being advised to book their swimming sessions, there will be more availability for residents to just turn up and swim assuming the lido’s 1,300 person capacity allows it.
The revised opening hours and swim sessions will be as follows:
• 6am - 6.50am - Full length lanes (booked session, but “on the door” entry available if space allows
• 7am -7.50am- Full length lanes (booked session, but “on the door” if capacity allows
• 8am – 8.50am - Full length lanes (booked session, but “on the door” if space allows
• 9am - 9.50am - Full length lanes (booked session, but “on the door” if capacity allows. (NB Sunday sessions are retained for sole use of South London Swimming Club members).
• 10am – 2.15pm - “An all are welcome” session (pre-booking advised but “on the door” entry available if space permits. The paddling pool is also available during this session.
• 3.30pm to 7.45pm – “Just swim” session, with pre-booking advised but “on the door” if capacity allows. For this session the paddling pool will remain open until 6pm, while the main pool will be shared between width lanes and open swimming.
The changes mean an extra session in the morning, plus the afternoon and evening sessions both extended by half an hour.
The lido was built in 1906 and at 90 metres in length is the largest open air freshwater swimming pool in the UK.
For the latest information and to book a swim please visit https://www.placesleisure.org/centres/tooting-bec-lido/
To find out more about the South London Swimming Club and how to become a member visit https://www.slsc.org.uk/