Has anyone tried Trauma focused CBT or EMDR?

4 posts
M&mmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Has anyone tried Trauma focused CBT or EMDR?

Postby M&mmum » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am

Hi all, has anyone here tried Trauma Focused CBT or EMDR for PTSD?
Did it work and can you recommend your therapist?
Many thanks
uptheoctave
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Has anyone tried Trauma focused CBT or EMDR?

Postby uptheoctave » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am

Hi,

I had EMDR for PTSD a couple of years ago. I had about 12 sessions and at the time I didn’t feel any seismic shifts but realised several months after it ended that I hadn’t had any flashbacks, anxiety or panic attacks since. Therefore I can only deduce that it really did work as I feel far more at peace with past events now. My therapist is in Brighton so prob not a lot of good.

Anyway, I really recommend EMDR from personal experience and hope you find a way forward soon.

All the best.
DavidT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DavidT » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

As a therapist, I have heard people report EMDR as effective for them.  As a manager at an EAP (Employee Assistance Provider) service, I refer people who have experienced trauma or have a PTSD diagnosis for EMDR as a preferred intervention.  Your GP may be able to refer you for EMDR sessions through the NHS so worth checking. 
ThePeelClinic
Share this post on:

Postby ThePeelClinic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am

As a therapist I have used EMDR Therapy for about 25 years and trained with the accredited EMDR Association and with LCCH. I use it mainly for PTSD and for unblocking. I consistently have dramatic results and never have found you need 12 sessions that would suggest something is not right. It is a very deep and quick therapy typically three or four sessions is enough. I have used it with survivors of child abuse, victims of assaults, car crash victims, soldiers, airline pilots who have had flight emergencies and other traumatic events.

My advice would be to make sure you have a therapist who is trained by an EMDR accredited training body as many other types of therapists do short non EMDR accredited training in EMDR which may not be as thorough. I am just retiring so not taking on anymore trauma patients so check out the BACP and UKCP or with the UK EMDR Association. If a therapist books you in for 12 sessions without even meeting you I would be cautious as that many sessions may not be necessary. Hope this info is useful kind regards Christopher

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.