Brilliant idea to reduce waste and lower cost of giving gifts at childrens’ birthdays - Fiver parties – anyone tried?

7 posts
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Brilliant idea to reduce waste and lower cost of giving gifts at childrens’ birthdays - Fiver parties – anyone tried?

Postby GuyD73 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:34 am

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/81544/fi ... jxszRKdKGM

I think this is excellent on so many levels, this line particularly chimed with me.    ‘And when I am trying to teach my children life lessons about waste and self-control, watching them rip open 24 presents and then lose interest in the contents is heart-breaking’. 

Less waste, less expense, less plastic tat, less financial burden for parents of squeezed means – ONE much better toy that (hopefully),will last for ages and give the birthday child much greater pleasure than 20 x £10 presents. I might add that in SW London our neck of the woods, it’s more like £20 per present making the benefits of this idea even greater!  

​​​​​​​The only thing I would add to this is to encourage people to bring their fiver inside a home-made card. That way the child giving the gift can put plenty of thought and care into drawing/painting the card at zero cost. Definitely going to try this at our LOs’ next parties, but very interested to hear thoughts from anyone who’s tried or considered this….
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Brilliant idea to reduce waste and lower cost of giving gifts at childrens’ birthdays - Fiver parties – anyone tried

Postby rubyonrails » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 am

I think it is a great idea. I'm all for pooling resources to buy one more keepsake gift. Works for every age group I would say including adults.

amumtoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Brilliant idea to reduce waste and lower cost of giving gifts at childrens’ birthdays - Fiver parties – anyone tried

Postby amumtoo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Yes I agree, a very good idea. I will trial it this year with my boys. When we are invited to parties I usually go for a book or something non plastic if I can. Oh and also I re-gift some of the stuff we receive as I am very quick at magic-making disappearing some of the presents received :-)  
petal
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby petal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:10 pm

You can buy blank cards and envelopes, kids can wire and decorate them but much nicer than using a regular A4.

I never buy individual cards anymore for parties, we get a massive box with a selection online at the fraction of the price and the cards are lovely.

For parties, I never give any tat, only presents I’d want to receive. With some efforts you can get amazing stuff when offers. I buy whenever I see something nice in offer and out if in my party gift pile.
Never any stress or waste of time on a Saturday shopping for a party gift.
Sorted!

£5 idea is good, one mum used to do this, HOWEVER, I just couldn’t bring myself to ask for money ... it feels so rude.
Also, many children love opening gifts.
Mine never really get spoilt like that so realistically it’s only ever Christmas and birthdays they have this.
Twice a year is not that bad.
It’s also only a relatively short period they have massive parties. When older it’s smaller parties.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:58 am

We moved and in my kids new school the parents via the PTA voted exactly that. I think it is brilliant.
Typically my kid who is saving to buy herself something rather big - in rekative terms for a 10yrs old who gets 2euros a week - (am very very proud) put all this unexpected extra money in her pot and is so grateful that her friends have boosted it by that much: 6 months worth if pocket money. She had a few vouchers so got herself a book and a top as well.

I think this is the only way forward. Oh those boxes of art and craft...
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:21 am

Lots of schools in Ireland do it. It would be nice if it caught on here. 
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 am

@firsttimer

You could start a trend? ;)
If I had thought of it I would have suggested it at the next PTA meeting.