Lambeth Labour Councillors demand a People's Vote in writing to Jeremy Corbyn - Could our Wandsworth cllrs follow suit?

1 post
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Lambeth Labour Councillors demand a People's Vote in writing to Jeremy Corbyn - Could our Wandsworth cllrs follow suit?

Postby GuyD73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:58 pm

I thought any remainers, possibly also Labour voters in the Battersea, Putney or Tooting constituencies, might be interested to see what the Labour group of local councillors from Lambeth have written to Corbyn, asking for a Peoples Vote / confirmatory vote to respect conference policy, which I find admirable.

Wandsworth is split in terms of its councillors' views on a People's vote - there are about 10 solid remainers (Fleur Anderson, Maurice McLeod, Hector Denfield, Candida Jones, Tony Belton, Jeremy  Ambache, Graeme Henderson and others), a handful of Brexit supporters (I believe mainly in the Tooting branch currently chaired by Alan McDonald) and some of the rest, including leaders Cllrs Hogg amd Rigby, seem not to have the courage to depart from the ambiguous position of the leadership. This division meant that when a composite motion, which included a rather weak peoples vote element, was brought at the most recent council meeting, it was never going to persuade any tories to vote for it and it failed. (Tories dominate council 31-24, notwithstanding one independent, so you need to turn a few to get anything passed). 

If you'd like your Wandsworth Labour councillor to sign a similar letter asking for a PV, it couldn't hurt to email them, and ask politely. You can find their details here...  https://democracy.wandsworth.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx

I'd be interested to hear what any other frustrated Labour remainers think of this particular development, and thoughts in general around the manifesto for European elections etc...
Attachments
LambethcllrsPVletter.jpg