Friend losing a worrying amount of weight

3 posts
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Friend losing a worrying amount of weight

Postby rubyonrails » Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 am

A good friend of mine has recently lost a lot of weight. She was never 'large' by any means but like a lot of us probably coveted losing that half a stone to make her feel a bit better.
However having gone on a health drive she now looks worryingly thin. 

I have done the 'don't lose more weight you will lose all your great features' etc. but this approach hasn't had any impact. A couple of my other friends want to do the intervention thing. I am tempted to speak to her partner (small caveat he may possibly be the cause of this).

Any help much appreciated.
sloaney donkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Friend losing a worrying amount of weight

Postby sloaney donkey » Fri May 17, 2019 11:55 pm

Get her to go for a cancer check

It is probably and hopefully nothing

Losing weight rapidly (without trying) may be a sign of certain types of cancer

My good Pal came to holiday with us last year in Corfu and she was so skinny. She hadn’t really noticed herself. She had trouble running.

She went to the doctors and was dead by Christmas
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Friend losing a worrying amount of weight

Postby dudette » Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 am

One thing you should maybe ask yourself is would you be contemplating saying something if it were the opposite and she was putting on weight? I would be very careful how you approach it and I think an intervention is a terrible idea unless you want to lose a friend. As a general rule of thumb, unless you comment on someone’s weight as a compliment (and then only because you know they have being trying to lose some) I would steer well clear. You could of course ask her if everything is ok but I wouldn’t use her weight as a basis for doing so.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.