Looking for a good financial advisor

9 posts
confusedofbattersea
Options:
Share this post on:

Looking for a good financial advisor

Postby confusedofbattersea » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi, can anyone recommend a good financial advisor? I've heard so many don't-go-there stories... has anyone tried Killik & Co on Northcote Road? I couldn't find any reviews about them.
Thanks!
CCgayton
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Looking for a good financial advisor

Postby CCgayton » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi 

I am a local Independent Financial Advisor living in Clapham. I have been in the industry for over 20 years. What area of financial advice are you interested in? I may be able to help you or if not point you in the right direction. 

Thank you

Claire
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chorister » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 pm

I've never used personally them, but Killiks has been at it for years - I doubt if they would have survived if they weren't OK.  And I've never heard the faintest whiff of scandal about them.  I guess it must be worth a chat with them.
confusedofbattersea
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby confusedofbattersea » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just looking for some general guidance on savings/pensions. I'll pop in to Killiks and have a chat!
mdh
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mdh » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 am

Speak to Catherine Simmonds, recommended on this site a lot. Lives locally and is great.
Contact Catherine on: catherine.simmonds@sjpp.co.uk
ParmaCrescentDad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ParmaCrescentDad » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi confusedofbattersea,

I'd be very happy to help if you want a quick chat, I'm an independent financial advisor with 12 years experience.  This is me here: https://staddenforbes.com/team/paul-stewart/   I live locally and my office is 100m from Victoria Station if you prefer a more formal environment.  

Otherwise a good place to look for a financial advisor on www.unbiased.co.uk and I think Killik's look relatively interesting too - I signed up for their mailing list and they have some quite interesting talks I have not got round to attending yet.   

In picking a financial advisor to discuss your savings and investments I think I would consider the following:
  • Do they have their own investment solution?   There are a surprising number of financial advisors out there using off the peg solutions you could have bought yourself for a fraction of the cost.  An advisor that has an outsourced investment solution or using a "discretionary fund manager" is not an issue.  
  • Are they trying to sell you a product?   While it's likely that if you are looking for savings and investment advice some kind of product sale will be appropriate look out for financial advisors who just want you to complete a risk profile and then recommend an investment that matches it.     Presumably you want to save and invest for a purpose - find a financial advisor who understands that and who sees savings and investment products as simply one of the tools available to helping you achieve your goals. 
  • How much do they cost?  Ultimately the return on your money is the investment performance minus the fees you paid to get that investment performance.   Charges vary considerably between financial advisors - the only rule stipulated by the FCA is that advisors must offer a service for their annual fee.   An expensive annual fee which pays for lots of services you value is a better deal than a cheap fee with no service at all.  Therefore don't race to choose the cheapest advisor but always make sure that the services you are effectively paying for are valuable to you.
  • Stay away from SJP - ok this last point may seem unfair or even self interested.  It's statistically improbably for all SJP advisors to be substandard but there are some very real problems with the culture of that organisation (and I say this as someone who once worked there). 
    • They still have a sales culture rather than an advice culture
    • They build in significant barriers to exit so that if you decide you don't like working with them it's very hard to move your money.
    • Their much lauded (by them) investment committee is more noticeable for it's bizarre decisions than it's good ones
    • They are expensive
Richard at Killik
Share this post on:

Postby Richard at Killik » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Dear confusedofbattersea

I run the Killik & Co on Northcote Road and I'd be delighted to help if I can.  Please feel free to pop in whenever you want or send me a message to arrange an appointment. There is no fee for the meeting and no obligation to proceed if you don't want to.

If before or after work one day or a Saturday is easier then happy to fit in with this. 

Hope to see you soon. 

Best regards

Richard 
Richard Morris

Killik & Co, Northcote Road
VMW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby VMW » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi I recently met Jaips Rekhi, he lives in the local Balham area He explained things very clearly to me after a couple of meetings and has given me peace of mind about my financial future. I would recommend his services. Jaips: 07826 101718
FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FLH03 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Good points made above by ParmaCrescentDad about transferring, exiting and realising investment products.  People go in with the best of intentions to invest wisely for their dependants, but need to ask questions about what happens when they (original investor) is no longer around physically or capably - bluntly - how the money comes out, what amount is actually paid, when, and what has to be paid tax-wise at that point.  All very difficult and upsetting when someone is bereaved or in shock about a life changing event that has triggered the exit.

I had this problem when my father died; he had various products with one outfit and by then his named Investment Partner, (same generation as my father) had retired and we had to deal with an anonymous administration centre which was difficult, tedious and protracted in the extreme, and complicated because none of the dependants/beneficiaries had a named partner relationship with them.   Still dealing with admin issues on 2 products almost 7 years later.