Daughter invited away but family flying bus class

6 posts
Starfish1
Options:
Share this post on:

Daughter invited away but family flying bus class

Postby Starfish1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:24 pm

My daughter has had a very lovely invitation to the Caribbean in October by her friend’s family. They have very generously said that all we need to sort is the flight and whatever spending money we want to send her with although she won’t really need very much at all.

However, I know that they will be flying bus class which we would never do and to be honest despite the hugely generously offer of us just picking up the airfare, bus class at this time of year is so expensive and not really something we can afford.

Is it ok for me to say that our daughter will be flying economy? I would hope my daughter would understand but I don’t want to cause any embarrassment on either side etc.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and if you have please can you share what you did?

Thanks.
SW11er
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Daughter invited away but family flying bus class

Postby SW11er » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:32 pm

Of course it’s ok. Wouldn’t even think about sending them business for one minute.
sloaney donkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sloaney donkey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:59 pm

If she checks in With them and is polite maybe she gets upgraded to bus class. Or maybe even first class

That would create the opposite kind of problem!

Your daughter almost in the pilots seat enjoying caviar and her friends a few rows back Making do with yesterday's salmon!

Ha !
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 am

How old is your daughter?
It may not be as simple as just booking her an economy seat on her own if she is then counted as an unaccompanied minor
Starfish1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starfish1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:28 am

She will be 14 next school year so when they travel. I hadn’t thought that her flying in a different class would be classed as an unaccompanied minor. I will find out who they will be flying with and call the airline.

Thank you all for your replies. Really appreciated.
Flump2013
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Flump2013 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 am

It should be fine. I am a travel agent and have clients who fly business class and their 12 & 10yr old kids fly economy. Call the airline though and have them put a note in the booking linking the flights.
Good luck.