Advice or recommendation on removal services

3 posts
Hattiethedog
Options:
Share this post on:

Advice or recommendation on removal services

Postby Hattiethedog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm

I offered to look after a friends furniture for a bit - whilst they got sorted. 5 years later and they are finally sorted. I need to send it to California. I think what is called a ‘part load’. Any recommendations or advice?
LindaS
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice or recommendation on removal services

Postby LindaS » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm

I can only speak as someone who moved to the UK then moved back to the East Coast (considerably closer than California).

First off, it costs a small fortune. As in, probably better to just buy new furniture in California. UNLESS, of course, your friends have an emotional attachment to their things or they are irreplaceable.
I only shipped a couple of pieces if furniture, for the cost I probably could have replaced everything twice over. You also have to consider the wear and tear on the furniture that is shipped.

Second, it takes months, probably not a big issue if they are already settled but a consideration.

Third, get as many estimates as you can, I'm sorry I can't recommend the one I used as they were fairly terrible. They have a cat in their logo. I did a lot of research beforehand but once the bill was paid and the things were packed they could not be bothered to answer my calls. Customer service in the UK is really a joke.

Good luck?
Hattiethedog
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice or recommendation on removal services

Postby Hattiethedog » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks for that. Got it sorted. Very hard to get anyone to quote. Only Britannia ever replied. They seemed to do a good job at my end. My chum was sentimentally attached to the stuff. Personally I probably would have bonfired the lot. Hopefully it arrives with him soon 

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.