Curtains or shutters

7 posts
kidzibuzi
Options:
Share this post on:

Curtains or shutters

Postby kidzibuzi » Mon May 04, 2020 3:06 pm

Dear all,
I hope you are well and safe in this challenging time.
I have just moved home to an ex-local authority flat. We benefit from large double-glazed windows, however to my surprise they are not really soundproof. I was wondering how to reduce traffic noise in my bedroom.
Does anyone have experience installing shutters to reduce noise? The information found on the internet suggests that soundproof curtains may be as good as shutters.
If anyone has any recommendation on products or local business that could have a look at solutions, I would greatly appreciate :-) Also ideas about cost would really help, I had a quote for shutters around £1,500, quite a lot if it doesn't work!

Many thanks
SWtastic
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Curtains or shutters

Postby SWtastic » Mon May 04, 2020 4:52 pm

You might be better off getting someone in who can advise whether it's worth changing the windows other than getting shutters.  If they're old double glazing then there may be a more modern version that is more soundproof.
Torcat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Torcat » Mon May 11, 2020 8:41 am

Hello,

The very best thing would be full length curtains, interlined and blackout lined. Velvet is an excellent insulator of sounds. Also they should be returned to the wall. Those will insulate very well against noise and draughts. Shutters will give limited protection, there are still small gaps between the slats, gaps at the bottom and the top. I make curtains, so I know a bit about it :)

Victoria
241balham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 241balham » Mon May 11, 2020 9:48 am

HI speak to Jake at CURTAIN WORKSHOP on 0208 877 0167 for a free measure and estimate My advice would be Curtains for
keeping out noise draughts and light and I have been making and selling since 1962 we are at
Curtain Workshop 241 Balham High Road SW17 7BE And we are back open by appointment as of 10am this morning 11/05
Regards Rog..
LifestyleMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LifestyleMum » Mon May 11, 2020 10:57 am

Hi there,
I agree with Torcat. Although you can use other fabrics than velvet with the interlining and blackout.
I would Upholstered.Solutions team to await you on your curtains or blinds. Contact them at info@upholstered.solutions.com / 07912 207703
onerachel
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby onerachel » Mon May 11, 2020 12:33 pm

I would give Jake at Curtain Workshop a call. We’ve used them for shutters and blinds and they are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.
Navy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Navy » Mon May 18, 2020 7:57 am

I’m not sure if curtains or shutters are a great methods to reduce traffic noise which comes from outside. My parents installed some shutters, but the noise was the same as before. However, I know what really helps in such situations. A new ceiling and durable system, which protects not only from noise, but from fire as well. It is a little bit tough to understand what I’m talking about, but in case you want the best protection check the link rockfon.co.uk. This company is the leader on the United Kingdom and Ireland markets.