when will it be ok to book a summer holiday?

10 posts
sunseeker
Options:
Share this post on:

when will it be ok to book a summer holiday?

Postby sunseeker » Thu May 07, 2020 12:19 pm

We were due to be heading to turkey this summer with my brother and his family. I have paid the deposit on a villa but not booked flights.
I know it isn't important in the scheme of what is going on in the world but does anyone have a sense of whether a July /August holiday is likely to be on the cards this summer? The children keep asking and I'm not sure how much longer I can dodge the question. Thanks sunseeker.
SW11er
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: when will it be ok to book a summer holiday?

Postby SW11er » Sat May 09, 2020 1:34 pm

I just don’t see anyone flying anywhere this summer on holiday. Not sure visitors from the UK will be top of anyone’s list of people to let it!
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rubyonrails » Sat May 09, 2020 5:27 pm

I have to agree. I would love to be heading abroad this summer but just not sure it's worth the risk. Don't want to be trying to get a ventilator in Greece or Spain. 
Hillbilly67
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Hillbilly67 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:45 am

We have flights booked to Portugal on Aug 10 for 2 weeks. The problem is that if we go we would then have isolate for 2 weeks upon return if the government goes through with the 14 day quarantine. This means our children would miss the start of term. I think most people are more likely to put a Plan B in place and look for a holiday in the U.K.
Janet14
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Janet14 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:24 am

Hi
I have a holiday booked on 20th July to Europe and definitely not ready to give up on it yet!
The issues will be:
- will the FCO lift their travel advice as otherwise you’re not insured although if in the EU you’ll still get medical insurance
- will the flights run - I think most airlines are hopeful to run flights come July but we’ll see
- will Brits be allowed in. Currently we’re allowed into most EU countries and the EU is pushing for free movement in the EU by the summer holidays to rescue the tourist industry. I suspect our new quarantine rules will not last that long for Europe for that reason especially as we’re behind the rest of Europe anyway with the curve. Cyprus is one place that was saying Brits will be the last in but even they’re now saying we should be allowed by July
I’d see if you can get flights on air miles as they’re currently wide open and then they’re cancellable....
Think it’ll be really important to support the travel industry once this is all over as the repercussions are enormous not just for airlines, travel agents but also countries and communities that rely completely on tourism. Fingers crossed we’re all able to go on holiday again soon.
Good luck!
HenryHoover
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby HenryHoover » Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm

Hi Sunseeker just read this on BBC site. I think not soon is the answer to your question :-(

Meanwhile, the government has said people should not book holidays at home or abroad until social distancing rules are relaxed.
szerma
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby szerma » Mon May 11, 2020 2:01 pm

I think everyone is in the same place mentally - really want to have summer holidays in the sun to look forward to and / or take a break after a looong stay at home, but equally, don't want to take the risk / don't know if it will be allowed.

If it's any consolation, we have had 4 holidays /mini breaks cancelled due to coronavirus, and we got all our money back (sometimes in the form of vouchers). Also, airlines are extremely flexible at the moment on changing your bookings - e.g. with easyjet you can change your dates / destination multiple times without paying any fees , up to 2 hours before departure. Therefore, I am not doing anything about the flights we already have for summer, until nearer to the date, when I know what and when I want to change them to (e.g. easyjet have even released spring 2021 flights so you could change them for then).

So - my advice would be hold fire for a while, it's unlikely there will be issues with availability for flights this summer even if you book last minute. If you have summer plans, hold tight, don't do anything yet - you might be able to go yet, and if not, if it's the airline that cancels / there is advice against travelling, the cancellation terms will be better than if you cancel yourself ahead of time.

As for your kids, depending on ages - mine are quite young so they don't have a concept of what's great vs what's mediocre - my daughter (6) still keeps raving about the great beach in the UK (Boscombe) and asks if we can go back there as opposed to some of the other exotic destinations we have been to. As a minimum, I expect to be able to go on day trips to beaches or other countryside destinations in the UK. If your children are older, you might be able to explain to them the context of coronavirus, and therefore we can't make any plans yet.

Best of luck!

M
CheekychappieMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CheekychappieMum » Mon May 11, 2020 3:20 pm

I think the UK government will have pressure on them from holiday hotspot countries to allow UK residents to travel, to boost the economy in Southern Europe. For those keen to search for sun abroad they could consider researching a self catering villa/house with a pool in a fairly remote location away from busy resorts and crowded beaches if you are prepared to take the risk of contamination on the flight and self quarantine on your return. Most of Southern Europe is past the worst, it´s the main cities and old people´s homes that are still taking a hit but hospitals are much better equipped than they were in March/April. The covid 19 situation varies enormously in the countryside vs the main cities. 
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Janet14 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:24 am
Hi
I have a holiday booked on 20th July to Europe and definitely not ready to give up on it yet!
The issues will be:
- will the FCO lift their travel advice as otherwise you’re not insured although if in the EU you’ll still get medical insurance
- will the flights run - I think most airlines are hopeful to run flights come July but we’ll see
- will Brits be allowed in. Currently we’re allowed into most EU countries and the EU is pushing for free movement in the EU by the summer holidays to rescue the tourist industry. I suspect our new quarantine rules will not last that long for Europe for that reason especially as we’re behind the rest of Europe anyway with the curve. Cyprus is one place that was saying Brits will be the last in but even they’re now saying we should be allowed by July
I’d see if you can get flights on air miles as they’re currently wide open and then they’re cancellable....
Think it’ll be really important to support the travel industry once this is all over as the repercussions are enormous not just for airlines, travel agents but also countries and communities that rely completely on tourism. Fingers crossed we’re all able to go on holiday again soon.
Good luck!

I agree with you.We have a holiday to Spain at the end of August booked and paid for .I got in touch with the hotel and they told me that they will reopen by June so I hope that by August all the travel restrictions and quarantines will be over as the travel industry is desperate for customers .
sunseeker
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sunseeker » Wed May 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Thank you all for your detailed replies. I think that I will keep an eye on everything and see how it plays out. I have tried to contact the villa company but as yet no reply back. We don't have airmiles and although flights aren't too expensive at the moment I'm not sure how sensible it is to try and book anything ahead of the Foreign Office advice changing. We are in good health but I don't like the idea of not being insured when I am away.

I will keep my fingers crossed but not get too excited.

Thanks again for all of the information.