Residential Property claim/advice recommendations?

2 posts
MamanZZZ
Options:
Share this post on:

Residential Property claim/advice recommendations?

Postby MamanZZZ » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:51 pm

Hi NVN,

One of our residential buy to let properties (apartment) has suffered from a major flood/sewage leak in which we believe the building management acted negligently by not responding sufficiently quickly to prevent major damages and this has had a massive impact on our tenants, requiring them to be temporarily housed elsewhere. The management company are now saying that they will not cover all damages. 

Does anyone have recommendations of a suitable lawyer who would be happy to discuss our rights re this on an initial no fee basis please?

Thanks.
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Residential Property claim/advice recommendations?

Postby chorister » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:16 pm

It is very difficult to comment sensibly without many more facts, but I am quite involved in that area, not as a lawyer or managing agent.

I think you will find it hard to pin liability on the managing agent, especially in the middle of a pandemic.  Assuming the leak originated in the common parts drainage then it may well for example have been caused by some idiot in another flat flushing eg wet wipes, in which case there may be an argument for them being liable.  However your lease will probably require insurance for the building as a whole, which may well cover the costs.

If you really want to talk to a lawyer then I recommend Alexandra Adam at Gregsons in Wimbledon - she's very sensible, will tell you honestly if you don't have a good case, but will do fine Rottweiler impressions if you do and you instruct her.  Her phone number is 020 8946 1173.  Good luck.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.