Applying for state school in Wandsworth while living outside

4 posts
nomad88
Options:
Share this post on:

Applying for state school in Wandsworth while living outside

Postby nomad88 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:27 am

Hi All,
We live outside Wandsworth but own a house BTC that we plan to move to next year when our son starts reception. I heard we can still apply to schools in Wandsworth while living outside at the time of application. Given it is quite important, i wanted to double check: is that correct and and has someone done it? We tried Pupil Services at Wandsworth Council, but it seems their phone line is closed due to virus and they haven’t responded to email. Any info appreciated!
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Applying for state school in Wandsworth while living outside

Postby Goldhawk » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:05 pm

You don't have to live in the borough to apply but the council won't use your BTC address until you are actually living there
schools
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby schools » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:37 pm

We were in a similar situation a few years ago and temporarily living abroad whist renting out the home we owned in Wandsworth over the application date. We found the council very helpful when we explained our circumstances and they accepted the Wandsworth address after we sent them various documents to prove our situation. There is a paragraph in the admissions brochure about them considering an owned property is the permanent residence even if you are not living there. It might be trickier though if you own an additional property.

I would keep trying to get hold of the council.
nomad88
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nomad88 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks for the colour. I’m glad to hear there is flexibility. Our case is likely a bit tougher, as we also own another property where we currently live, but the plan was always to move to our Clapham house in time for school. I will keep trying Pupil Services then.