Thomas’s battersea family to speak to?

4 posts
confusedinthecommons
Options:
Share this post on:

Thomas’s battersea family to speak to?

Postby confusedinthecommons » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:23 am

Hello

I’m looking to figure out if the gossip about the school is correct: pushy, hothouse, only focused on academics for lower years, only attracts certain families, stressful for the lower children, only attracts people who seek the royal status claim.

We’ve met the headmaster and he is lovely and we adore the ethos and mission and felt very sold on the tour, but concerned at some of the rumors. Does it live up to the mission or the gossip?

Thank you
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Thomas’s battersea family to speak to?

Postby dudette » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:13 am

I don’t know about Battersea but all these rumours used to fly about the Clapham school and they were a load of nonsense. The school was the opposite of a hothouse - they actually had terrible 11plus results! The owners of the schools are very keen on outdoor education and I think the ethos is the same in all the schools. I thought Thomas’s Clapham was a great school and my kids were very lucky to have gone there. I have also made lifelong friends from the parent group. You will always find detractors but the school produces happy, well-rounded kids which is the best you can ask for.
EHMorris
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby EHMorris » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:00 am

The gossip is unfair.   It is (in our direct experience of two children) a warm, happy, nurturing and supportive environment.   I would go with your instincts given you have actually visited! 

DeeJackson72
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DeeJackson72 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:25 pm

IMHO you are doing absolutely the right thing in looking for a family to chat to? Ideally chat to more than one, with kids of distinct ages and genders? All of us are very lucky in this particular neck of the SW London woods to have such a high number of really excellent schools (although this means that demand for places is commensurately high?) Inevitably, every single school has its own narrative - both public and whispered? More often than not, it tends to suit the proprietors to allow these narratives to develop without much (visible/patent) intervention from the school itself? The gossip you have heard is just part and parcel of any of these local school's public name and reputation. All the Thomas's schools, (particularly TB, for obvious reasons), attract (again IMHO) a disproportionate amount of parent chat. Against all this noise and confusion, you have done absolutely the right thing in visiting and it sounds as if your instincts are fairly clear? It is obviously a good school and, as you have already identified, has a very nurturing ethos? Personally, we found that we got very clear feelings from each school we visited and there can be a lot to be said for trusting your gut? Only you know your own child/ren?! Keep talking to as many TB parents as you can find to talk to - confidentially? I suspect you are unlikely to get much  candour on a public forum? Do feel free to DM me! Good luck!  

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.