what's the best way to find a good tutor?

6 posts
rosegold
Options:
Share this post on:

what's the best way to find a good tutor?

Postby rosegold » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:40 pm

Please can anyone tell me the best way to find a decent tutor? Is an agency or a recommendation the best route to go?
I would also like to know if it the done thing to ask what an individual tutor's success rate is before employing them?

It is for our eldest who I think is going to need a bit of help preparing for the Common Entrance exams...
Abbevilleteacher
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: what's the best way to find a good tutor?

Postby Abbevilleteacher » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:22 pm

I would ask for recommendations from other parents. They will be able to tell you how successful the tutor is on getting children into schools and good results. They will also be able to tell you a bit about the style of the tutor.(for example some tutors might be very competent at maths but might not have a style or way of teaching/explaining strategies that suits your child)
Last edited by Abbevilleteacher on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanny2020ldn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nanny2020ldn » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 pm

Tutors are often self employed
MissDemi
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MissDemi » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi there, my name is Demi. I tutor children from nursery &reception to key stage 2. I also work with children with SEN and provide a fun learning environment. I may be able to help with your child’s needs. My telephone number is 07380670429 if you require more information.

Enjoy your weekend. X
Jess from Mentor Education
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jess from Mentor Education » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi Rosegold, 

There are lots of ways to find a tutor, the tricky part is finding the right one for your child and your family! 

A recommendation is a great place to start and if you go down this route, we would absolutely suggest that you ask about the tutor’s track record, as well as asking for a cv and a copy of their Enhanced DBS. The advantage of using an agency is that they can process this admin for you and also should be able to source a tutor to match your exact requirements.  For example, you mention Common Entrance exams, a decent agency would be looking to find you a tutor, not only with a track record of success in Common Entrance exams but in fact with the whole admissions process for the schools’ of your choice.  

As you mention Common Entrance, I wonder if you are considering boarding school for your child?  If so, bear in mind that while most boarding schools are still requiring applicants sit Common Entrance exams, they may also ask pupils to sit the ISEB Pre Test and attend assessment days where mental maths, logic problems, team challenges and panel interviews may also be part of their appraisal. We believe the overall trend in the 13+ admissions universe is that Common Entrance exam results are becoming less important relative to these other aspects, but obviously, this varies on a school by school basis. 

Happy to discuss this further if you have specific schools in mind at this point?
 When looking for a tutor, as an absolute minimum you should ask for and check yourself: 
  1. Qualifications – eg. Degree and PGCE certificates
  2. CV of their tutoring experience
  3. Enhanced DBS certificate
  4. At least two references from parents that speak to their tutoring style and success.
 Also, don’t forget to think about your child’s personality and learning style.  Are they quiet or bubbly? Do they need a lot of structure to help them focus? Consider your family home and environment, for example, are you fairly formal and looking for a tutor to turn up in a suit with a power point presentation or are you looking for someone really relaxed to put your child at ease? 

We find our matches work best when parents tell us as much as they can about what they are looking for and we can pick just the right tutor for them.
 Bear in mind, of course, that the majority of tuition is still taking place online and maybe for the foreseeable future, depending on COVID restrictions.  

Jess at Mentor Education.
www.mentoreducation.co.uk     
Last edited by Jess from Mentor Education on Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
teaching
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby teaching » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Hello,

I have used Tutor Hunt a few times from GCSE to A level.

Always had such amazing teachers,

currently using a A level Tutor on line, who go above and beyond.

Good Luck !!!