Help finding out-of-london School/Home?

3 posts
stjames88
Options:
Share this post on:

Help finding out-of-london School/Home?

Postby stjames88 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 am

Hello! We are looking to move back to the UK with our 3 kids (odd timing I know, but it is a long time coming and some key family are in the UK and aren't getting younger!). 

We've been looking to move back into Clapham/Balham, but are also entertaining the idea of moving outside of London.

We are lost, however, as to how to even begin looking for an area or find schools outside of London that would suit our children (all currently under 8). Has anyone got any advice or ever used a service to help find a home and the right area/school for us? 

Thanks for your help!
SWdweller
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help finding out-of-london School/Home?

Postby SWdweller » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:49 pm

I've watched many friends move out of London over the years, some further afield than others. Most needed to be within reasonable proximity to London for work. Tunbridge Wells, Reigate, Amersham, Newbury, Oxford, Guildford to name a few that are worth looking into. There is a great website 'life after London' that might help you reach a decision. We recently moved out to Marlow after 12 years in Clapham. We needed to be West of London for my husband's work, so struggled with finding somewhere close to London but that was still a bit lively.

There are plenty of primary schools and there is a fantastic local grammar as well as a very good state secondary (Great Marlow) and also plenty of private options close by too. Its not the cheapest place to move to if you want to be in the town itself and the houses in Marlow aren't huge (not a lot come onto the market but those that do are mostly are 3/4 beds with smallish gardens), but you can find large detached properties for far less than the price of an average SW London terrace a little bit outside Marlow if you are prepared to be drive everywhere. We were all so worried about moving out of London but love our new life and the kids settled into school quickly, making some lovely friends and they have so much more space to play, a kitchen garden where they grow fruit and veg and the highlight last term was the pheasant that kept laying eggs in the sand pit at night! So many great walks close by, the river with all of the activities that entails (rowing, paddle-boarding etc), lovely shops in Marlow with High Wycombe less than 5 miles away with a big shopping centre and so many great restaurants (not that we have been able to try many yet with lockdown!) 

Good luck with your search!
emmakl
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Help finding out-of-london School/Home?

Postby emmakl » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 am

Hi!
After many happy years in Wandsworth we took the plunge and moved out to Wiltshire just over 3 years ago now. My husband works in town during the week, usually, and I have the joy of being down here - and love every moment! We are close
Enough to get back to town (when allowed!) and there is certainly loads going on in this neck of the
Woods to keep us busy and entertained. I now advise families moving to the area and help with school searches and house hunting so do drop me a line if I can help at all. It’s a big decision and I am very happy to have a chat if that would be helpful x

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.