Advice needed: best areas of Streatham for young family

2 posts
youngfam
Options:
Share this post on:

Advice needed: best areas of Streatham for young family

Postby youngfam » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:33 am

My partner and I are looking to buy a three bedroom house in the Streatham area. We have a toddler and may have another child in the future so we are looking for a nice, safe family area.

We don't have a big budget - around the £600k mark. We are wanting three double bedrooms and some outside space. We will need to commute into the city for work.

Can anyone recommend areas of Streatham that have a nice family feel and family activities nearby at the weekend? Are the specific areas of Streatham you'd suggest avoiding?

We are totally clueless so any advice would be really appreciated! :D
honors79
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice needed: best areas of Streatham for young family

Postby honors79 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:43 am

We lived in Streatham for nearly 10 very happy years. We've since moved to be nearer elderly family etc.

In terms of family life, I'd recommend anywhere around Streatham Common - large green space, fantastic playground, the wonderful Rookery, lovely cafe at the top of the hill, some good places to eat etc. Near the big supermarkets too. Streatham Hill is a bit smarter, but you don't have the open spaces there.

On the plus side, you get a hell of a lot more for your money than you do in most other parts of south-west London, and there's an extraordinary community spirit: welcoming of everyone and keen to include them in whatever's going on. Residents are rightly v proud of Streatham and it being such a mixed community in every way. I've never lived anywhere where my neighbours were so friendly.

On the down side, and one of the reasons we moved, is that because it's still a bit rough around the edges, I didn't always feel hugely safe wandering around in the evenings, and as my three girls are teenagers/nearly teenagers, I was apprehensive about them going out and about too. I may well get shouted down for this, and I realise that there are no really safe areas of London, and we certainly lived there for a decade without anything happening to us personally, but we certainly knew of friends / friends' children having less than pleasant experiences.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.