Labour options - Chelsea and Westminster or St Thomas’s?

3 posts
Brodie27
Options:
Share this post on:

Labour options - Chelsea and Westminster or St Thomas’s?

Postby Brodie27 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi all

I know this has been asked before on this forum but looking for some more recent experiences. Has anyone had any recent experience of giving birth at Chelsea and Westminster or st Thomas’s and would you recommend?

We are moving to Clapham BTC in July and I am due my second baby end of August. I had my first at UCLH (which I loved) but the birth was incredibly quick and I have been warned this one may be even quicker so do not think remaining at UCLH is an option. I like the look of C&W but worried about getting across the bridge if I go into labour during rush hour.

Experiences of the labour wards not birth centres appreciated as unfortunately birth centre not an option due to complications.

Thanks in advance! As you can tell I’m a bit nervous about switching hospitals and so late in the pregnancy but I don’t think there is any way around it. :?
Fek100
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Labour options - Chelsea and Westminster or St Thomas’s?

Postby Fek100 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 am

I had my son at Thomas’s and would go back there in a heartbeat. The midwives were great and I felt well looked after. And the view afterwards isn’t bad either!
mrs_original
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Labour options - Chelsea and Westminster or St Thomas’s?

Postby mrs_original » Tue May 04, 2021 5:56 pm

I had my daughter at St Thomas 3 years ago and experience was great, so I decided to go back there when I got pregnant with my son last year. But because of Covid restrictions they made lots of changes including private and NHS patients sharing the NHS birth facilities which made me wonder who would get the preference on a busy day. On top of that, Lambeth Borough wasn't registering births until lockdown restrictions were lifted in April and I didn't want to wait ages to get a birth certificate, so I decided to transfer to C&W.

Best decision ever! Midwives were lovely and treatment standards were the same as I had at ST. During labour midwives were brilliant, I'd say even better than ST. I would just complain about the stay after labour as I felt things were very slow and because I didn't have my husband with me I would expect then to check on me more, but it could be due to Covid or the ward being busy.

I also had the same worry about having a quick labour and luckily got there in time, my son was born 1 hour after I arrived. It was so quick that he didn't even realise he was coming out and there were two doctors and three midwives assisting my labour just in case, which was very reassuring.

I had both babies at the birth centre though, can't say anything about the labour ward.