Notre Dame School Cobham/Sutton High

4 posts
Ex Clapham resident
Options:
Share this post on:

Notre Dame School Cobham/Sutton High

Postby Ex Clapham resident » Sat May 15, 2021 11:08 am

Hi

We’re considering sending our daughter to Notre Dame for year 6 to then get automatic entry into the senior school. Whilst pretty academic, she doesn’t have much confidence in her abilities and gets very nervous in tests and this could spoil how she does in the 11+

Does anyone have any knowledge of Notre Dame? We’re also thinking of Sutton High or Emmanuel. Or Kingston grammar if she can get in.

The key is to have somewhere nurturing that gently pushes her to her academic ability.

Our local state alternative would be Ricards in Wimbledon which seems really good and is Ofsted ‘Outstanding’. Is the money worth it? KGS and Sutton high seem to have less onsite green space than Ricards.

Thanks for your help.
Mumonamission
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Notre Dame School Cobham/Sutton High

Postby Mumonamission » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:22 pm

I can't really advise you on all the schools you asked about but my daughter tried for ND. I have lots of friends with children there and I think would be a great school to help children who lack confidence but also allowing them to reach their academic potential. Did your daughter get a place for Year 6? It is definitely a bonus to miss the 11+ frenzy!
Ex Clapham resident
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ex Clapham resident » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:57 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Yes, she has got a place for year 6 since I posted! As you say, great way to miss the 11+, or at least be more relaxed about it! It’s just that with Covid, we haven’t been able to see the school ‘in action’, although have had a tour, so can’t get a ‘feel’ for the place and its students.

I guess we’ll have to give it a go and see what happens!

I’m just struggling to justify the fees when Ricards seems a good alternative with great facilities too.
SWtastic
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SWtastic » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:31 am

Personally, I'd send her to Ricard's and use the extra £ to give her the experience of great extra curricular activities e.g. sport, travel, arts etc.

A friend, who is a teacher in the private secondary sector, sent her daughter to Ricard's and she had a great time and made loads of friends as well as getting a full house of 9s for her GCSEs.  She's gone elsewhere for 6th form but only because she wanted a co-ed experience for the last part of her schooling.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.