Rutherford house school vs Ravenstone

4 posts
M&Imum
Options:
Share this post on:

Rutherford house school vs Ravenstone

Postby M&Imum » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 pm

We are relocating to Balham and have a girl in year 4 and a boy in year 1 as well as a 2 year old boy.
We are in the catchment for Rutherford house and Ravenstone school and looked round both.
We feel lucky that they both seem like really good schools and we were impressed by the time each of the heads took to show us round and what we saw.
But now we can’t decide between them! I think RH is a better fit for our daughter and Ravenstone would suit our son but don’t really want them in different schools.
Any experience people have of either school would be really welcome!
Coffeeplease
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Rutherford house school vs Ravenstone

Postby Coffeeplease » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:10 pm

Got friends who have children in both. Would say Rutherford House is more academic & has a more of a competitive edge. Some children do very well in the environment (I think progress is quite high) and other children struggle. Know someone who moved their child from Rutherford to Ravenstone because the child was really struggling with the pressure of feeling like she was always underperforming. However, that is not every child and most friends sing praises.
There is also a significant difference in outside space if that makes any difference to you.
daizmaiz1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby daizmaiz1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:01 am

Our son is in reception at Ravenstone and our youngest will be going to the nursery after Easter. We’re so so happy with the school. We had the same dilemma as you when we were deciding. I love the uniform of Rutherford and the fact that it’s very academic but in reality in my heart it felt cold and like it was trying too hard. I think Rutherford is for parents who wanted a private school but couldn’t afford it (us!) but the teachers and community at Ravenstone has genuine passion. I think the education at Ravenstone is still fantastic without the almost militaryesque pressure to achieve
Neptune214
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Neptune214 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:41 pm

I have two kids at Ravenstone and our youngest will go there too. We picked the school because it appeared to us to focus on the whole child and we haven’t been disappointed. They work to get the academic results but they also care deeply about nurturing kind and happy children who can regulate their emotions, think for themselves and make good decisions and choices.
The outside space is also a big plus for us. The kids have lots of space to run around outside, get involved in the gardens, enjoy the pond and the chickens. We couldn’t be happier.

Start a conversation
Create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.