Photography career advice for 18yr old

4 posts
Danijeanne2502
Options:
Share this post on:

Photography career advice for 18yr old

Postby Danijeanne2502 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:15 am

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone could offer any career advice for my niece. She has taken photography/criminology/health & social care at A Level and has fallen in love with photography and decided she would like to do photography going forward. She was ideally looking for an apprenticeship but I can’t seem to find any. She is looking at taking photography at university but she is unsure whether that is the best route or to try and get into a job now? Her mum hasn’t been very well and hasn’t been able to offer any guidance so I’m trying to help but to be honest don’t have a clue. Does anyone have any photography background and can advise her on the best route to take.

Thank you
IPW1
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Photography career advice for 18yr old

Postby IPW1 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:52 am

I would suggest writing to all photographers that your niece likes asking if they are looking for an assistant. You niece should put together a CV mainly listing all the types of cameras, equipment (lighting etc) and software she can use. Think about the type of photography she is hoping to work in and then write to all the photographers. I’m a local photographer but my kind of work doesn’t really require an assistant, however when
I started my career I assisted a lot of photographers and it helped me a lot. I found emailing them the best route. Best of luck to her!
Danijeanne2502
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Danijeanne2502 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:48 am

Thank you for your replies, that’s really helpful.
rosalindfurlongphotography
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rosalindfurlongphotography » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:26 am

Hi - it really depends on what sort of photography she wants to do. Having said that if I were 18 I would probably start by doing a photography degree. I did a later in life diploma at the London College of Communication which is in Elephant and Castle and has degree courses but many universities also offer great courses (Westminster and Falmouth are two of the best). I just think that would give her an all round grounding in the subject, allow her to make contacts and do work experience and just get her started on the professional path in a much easier way that trying to start off by assisting. I think assisting is a great idea for once she’s graduated but I would do the degree first - which will make her more attractive to employers as an assistant too. One thing to bear in mind is the rise of AI. I think this could have quite a negative impact on the photography profession in the future. Having a degree will at least give her a high level qualification should she need to change careers.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.