What DO we want on Northcote Road???

537 posts
TwinsMama
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: What DO we want on Northcote Road???

Postby TwinsMama » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 pm

In reply to the posts about Farrago - Back on the first weekend of February, I went with three other mum friends for a much needed and long awaited girls night out as we have 2 year olds and are exhausted mums. Due to reading people recommend it, I suggested it be the place we go to. Their online reservation system was down, which apparently "happens a lot" according to whomever picked up the phone when I called. That should've been the first sign. I got there and there weren't many people in the restaurant for a Friday night but I figured we'd at least not have to flag anyone down then to get help. The other mums arrived over the next 30 mins and when we wanted to order another bottle or drink, we had to stand up to get someone's attention. When we started to order, one of the mums is a vegetarian and the waiter couldn't tell her any options on the menu or if the risotto could be vegetarian. Two got the pasta, the vegetarian did decide on the risotto and I got the rolled chicken. We all agree it was one of the worst tasting meals we've had. The pasta looked like it had been reheated leftovers, the risotto was bland and my chicken was bone dry and flavourless. Maybe it was an off night but we had such a horrendous experience that you would have to pay me to eat there again! 
SomethingBlue
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SomethingBlue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:40 am

Sergent Major was completely empty yesterday, anybody know what is going on?
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:23 pm

All looking a bit sad at the moment.  LK Bennett, Sergent Major, ex-Doves etc.
Beketaten
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Beketaten » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Is the M&S just going to be food when it reopens, does anyone know?
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:05 pm

A pop up Cycle shop called Temple Cycles, retro looking bikes. That’s in the old Opus store.

There’s a new pop up in Doves too which looks a bit like the old store with a different name.
K1999
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby K1999 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:50 pm

I would love a corner shop at the far end of Northcote Road.  The local Spar was there for donkeys years has now gone. I notice Dandilions went ages ago, but still no-one has filled the shop. I think some landlords are kicking out existing shop holders (by putting up the rent) but then they shoot themselves in the foot by outpricing themselves and their shops are remaining vacant.  So, yes, I would like a M&S Foods, or Sainsbury's Local would be great!!
Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Tue May 14, 2019 12:54 pm

The old Everybody Bikes shop at 176 Northcote Road (next to the Bolingbroke) will be a vet.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue May 14, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm not sure the Riot Chicken Shop next to the old Carphone Warehouse site is going to add much to the area!  😂
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rubyonrails » Wed May 15, 2019 10:10 am

I do think a vet practice is a good shout. There are so many families with dogs in the area it must take an age to get an appointment at one of the few existing ones. 
Alchemy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Alchemy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Not on Northcote Road, but Blacks on St John's Road is closing down. I always found it useful, sorry to see it go.
RachelK12
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby RachelK12 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:45 am

The reason the shop choice is limited is because of the business rates. Many 'boutique' shops aka small business are not able to afford the £800-£1500 per month which has no benefit to the business in any way. Although there has been a 30% reduction for 2 years this has caused the demise of the small businesses on the high street and only the 'corporate' shops aka LK Bennett, Space NK can afford to swallow this tax. This is also caused the shops to have to hike up prices so they can survive. As a Londoner growing up in the 70's/80's we had so many individual shops, boutiques, haberdashery's etc which made the high street vibrant. Now all we have is the same homogenised outlets that you see everywhere. Very sad and it has taken the real fun out of shopping imo. I am trying to raise the profile of scrapping business rates and its just another tax on top of everything else we pay
Janet14
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Janet14 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:12 am

JulianTenniscoach I kid you not I have my lunch from Riot Chicken once a week and it is the BEST grilled chicken i’ve Ever had. Not sure what they put in their marinade but they should take it to the grave!
SW11er
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SW11er » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Agreed Chicken Riot is good. Not sure they quite know if they are fast food, take away or eat in - but food is good. Worth a visit.
twingirlsmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twingirlsmama » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Another newcomer already closing. The Scotch Malt Whiskey Society Close’s it’s doors on 01.08
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm

SW11er wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:40 pm
Agreed Chicken Riot is good. Not sure they quite know if they are fast food, take away or eat in - but food is good. Worth a visit.

Gave it a try last weekend.  Quite good and a definite step up from KFC.  Bold step opening opposite Nando's though.