fara charity shop a rip off!

145 posts
Scottov
Posts: 250
Joined: Dec 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby Scottov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am

clapset wrote:The fara website has little information on who runs or manages the business and what remuneration they receive. It seems to have been set up to help Romanian orphans but it doesn't say who set it up.

In my limited experience with charity - those that run the 'business' are invariably not on minimum wage.

Anyone know who is behind the organisation?

Scottie you seem to have plenty of time on your hands rather than abusing people why don't you do a FoI request and get some info for us...
Boring.

Lets stick to facts:
1.the people complaining about FARA's prices are free to shop elsewhere if they aren't happy.
2. There are many other charity shops selling goods at lower prices.
3. What the whingers really want is the higher quality of goods offered at FARA for the lower prices charged at the Trinity Hospice shop (for example).
4. This is a pure self interest. Gimme gimme gimme

I mean if you can get a better deal elsewhere, then just go do it! no need to whine & moan, just shop elsewhere.

Either the better deals don't exist, or its just people moaning for the sake of it.

the FARA shop just seems an easy target for a certain type of person.
Post Reply
Scottov
Posts: 250
Joined: Dec 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby Scottov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:22 am

clapset wrote:My company used to provide free space to a charity that provided eye site services to less fortunate people in the 3rd world. The idea was great, the execution was poor. Basically it was run by some Tim Nice But Dim twits straight out of Uni who were bright enough to realise that as long as you were perpetuating the story about your growing success - they could pay themselves £100k +, have no overheads and get free IT and telecoms from us whilst travelling the world. Eventually the original brains behind the charity wised up, and we got bored of their £1k a month phone bills and so they all got the bullet. So what next - they set up a new charity and so started the sorry saga again ... genious.
Aside from the horrible spelling & grammar in this dubious polemic about other people's intelligence and education, I presume this "story" is something you roll out whenever you need a justification for not giving to charity? ;)
Post Reply
clapset
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby clapset » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 am

Cut and paste smiley face.

To be clear I don't shop in charity shops. I don't care if their prices are high or low. Fact!

All I want to know now is where the money goes. Follow the money! Is it a charity or a front for something else? And really when I think about it I'm not that bothered.

And to be clear dullard I find people that use spelling and grammer on a quick type "blog" as their only basis of an agrument are really clutching at straws ... it seems to make them (you) feel better for some strange reason ... you didn't spell correctly nah nah nah nah nah ... do you trott that argument out as your reason for not giving to charity? ... did I say that kermit?

Go pick a fight with North Korea ...

And for the record "Tim Nice But Dim" is a character from Harry Enfield ... you wouldn't know that because I suspect you're idea of comedy is probably Frasier ... yeah really funny ... Scckooossse me, can you tell me where to find the washing powder please?!
Post Reply
kcai
Posts: 54
Joined: Feb 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby kcai » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:51 am

Scottov wrote: 3. What the whingers really want is the higher quality of goods offered at FARA for the lower prices charged at the Trinity Hospice shop (for example).
I disagree that FARA offers a "higher quality of goods." One of the reasons I go there a lot less these days is because I've noticed they still charge high prices for toys that are missing pieces or are otherwise dodgy. Compared to several years ago, when prices on children's books were reasonable at around 80-1.20p, I don't think I've seen anything under £1 for many months - including one of the free books the library gives out in the bookstart bags.

By the way, it's annoying to constantly have one's concerns dismissed as "whinging."
Post Reply
clapset
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby clapset » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:53 am

they do children's books ... I take it back. I now shop in charity shops - after all I'd hate my kid to be as poor at spelkling and gwammer as mee!

Thanks for the tip off
Post Reply
Scottov
Posts: 250
Joined: Dec 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby Scottov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:11 pm

clapset wrote:Cut and paste smiley face.

To be clear I don't shop in charity shops. I don't care if their prices are high or low. Fact!
Funny that you seem to think this is an important distinction to make?

I've noticed a bit of a pattern with you, and your simultaneous posturing for aspirational social standing, matched with hollow claims to not care what anyone thinks:

You're obsessed with other people's (higher) salaries.
You have a chip on your shoulder about university educated people being dumb
You seem to think nebulous local definitions about what constitutes "between the commons" and "nappy valley" are important
Its important that people know you would never shop at a charity shop
You display low level cognitive & grammatical skills

that's a whole bundle of esteem issues you've got going on there. I know, I know... You don't care, you just protest so people don't think the wrong thing about you.

Incidentally I proudly shop & donate goods to FARA :)
All I want to know now is where the money goes. Follow the money! Is it a charity or a front for something else? And really when I think about it I'm not that bothered.
Why don't you try a freedom of information request like you suggested? Sure, as a private company they are not covered by FOI but don't let that stop you

As for "Front for something else"? that's just embarassing.
And to be clear dullard I find people that use spelling and grammer on a quick type "blog" as their only basis of an agrument are really clutching at straws ... it seems to make them (you) feel better for some strange reason ... you didn't spell correctly nah nah nah nah nah ... do you trott that argument out as your reason for not giving to charity? ... did I say that kermit?
There's a difference between a typo, and not knowing basic spelling & grammar. Which I feel is somewhat ironic when you are taking potshots at other people's supposed education & intelligence. OK, obviously your story isn't true but the underlying sentiment coming through is still clear.

And for the record "Tim Nice But Dim" is a character from Harry Enfield ... you wouldn't know that because I suspect you're idea of comedy is probably Frasier ... yeah really funny ... Scckooossse me, can you tell me where to find the washing powder please?!
Again, very strange that you think this is a point worth making? This is the sort of cognitive shortcoming I referred to earlier.

You used the "Tim Nice But Dim" as a character approximation for the types in your "story", there isn 't any confusion about what you were trying to say (no matter how inarticulately). Pointing out the obvious origins of a famous pop culture character doesn't enhance your usage in any logical manner. In fact making this point makes no sense whatsoever. Unsurprisingly.

Ps I do find Frasier funny.

Anyway, that's enough attention paid to you for now.
Post Reply
Scottov
Posts: 250
Joined: Dec 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby Scottov » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 pm

kcai wrote:
Scottov wrote: 3. What the whingers really want is the higher quality of goods offered at FARA for the lower prices charged at the Trinity Hospice shop (for example).
I disagree that FARA offers a "higher quality of goods." One of the reasons I go there a lot less these days is because I've noticed they still charge high prices for toys that are missing pieces or are otherwise dodgy. Compared to several years ago, when prices on children's books were reasonable at around 80-1.20p, I don't think I've seen anything under £1 for many months - including one of the free books the library gives out in the bookstart bags.
Ok. If you feel the goods are no higher quality, and the prices too high - why do you still shop there? there are plenty of other charity shops charging lower prices, and by your own admission selling goods of no lower quality?

If you can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere, what's the problem?

Is it because you can't really?

Let me give you an example, I don't shop in Indian Ocean. The furniture is lovely, Its high quality & well designed. However, I feel I can get something almost as good for less money elsewhere - so I do. If everyone felt the way I do, they'd be out of business but they don't.

No problem though, Indian Ocean aren't forcing me to shop there or offending me in any way. I just shop somewhere else.

Isn't that the way things should work? Rather than complain, take your business elsewhere. Eventually if enough people agree with you, then they will have to change their ways. But only if you are right, and lots of people agree.

I made the point earlier, that I do not want any charity shop selling goods I donate for a penny less than the maximum price they can get.

By the way, it's annoying to constantly have one's concerns dismissed as "whinging."
Why, is it a common occurence?
Post Reply
clapset
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby clapset » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Hang on hang on ...

Are you Balham dad in disguise?

Awesome. I was wondering where you'd gone. There's only one person on this site that cares so much about spelling and lives in Balham ...

Missed you buddy. What you been up to? other than offending people.
Post Reply
kcai
Posts: 54
Joined: Feb 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby kcai » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Scottov wrote: Ok. If you feel the goods are no higher quality, and the prices too high - why do you still shop there?
My children occasionally ask to go in when we pass by. Usually we browse for a few minutes and then walk out.
Scottov wrote:If you can get the same thing cheaper elsewhere, what's the problem?
Mostly, I'm surprised at how high their prices have gone compared to about two years ago. I gave an example of book pricing in my previous post.
Scottov wrote:Rather than complain, take your business elsewhere.
Why should I not point out the discrepancy in FARA's pricing from several years ago? (Even if it's mainly my own perception, and not scientific. ;) ) FARA's relatively high pricing has been commented on by several parents I know, and I've had hand-me-downs/books etc offered to my youngest child because they'd been hanging on to the items instead of donating to FARA.

I think if FARA's prices had always been high, I would do as you say - take my business elsewhere and not complain. But it used to be a nice little place to drop in and find a few 50p-£3 toys. I think it's a bit of a shame that it's changed.
By the way, it's annoying to constantly have one's concerns dismissed as "whinging."

Why, is it a common occurence?
OccurRence. Common? Yes, throughout this thread, your attitude has essentially been "shut up and go somewhere else." I find that annoying.
Post Reply
clapset
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby clapset » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 pm

I too am a man. Yes, just check ... still there. I am indeed male.

And I'm pretty happy I think. It's stopped snowing that's a start.

My pop down the road and check out Fara tomorrow - want to see what all the fuss is about. Will report back my findings next week. That is if I'm allowed an opinion ...

Woop woop
Post Reply
Lulubear
Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 2013
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby Lulubear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:26 pm

As someone who donates to Fara, and indeed, has donated some nice unused stuff before, it does worry me a little if the prices are outrageous. I regard my donations as fulfilling three purposes. One is to enable the sale proceeds to go towards a particular charity, another is to enable the goods to be recycled rather than binned and thirdly I want them to benefit someone who might otherwise not be able to afford to buy the item new. The third of these doesn't get achieved if the prices are too high. I am curious about the reasons for the recent price rises - I just hope it means the extra money is going to a good cause rather than lining a few people's pockets!
Post Reply
clapset
Posts: 276
Joined: Jun 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby clapset » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

And hence that is a question that should be asked of Fara's management. Whoever they are. The Fara website is short on such information. Or at least I couldn't find it with my cursory review yesterday.

Scottie was right an FoI will do no good - I was too quick on the draw in my attempt to bate him - but you can write to the Charities Commission and they should handover whatever information they have on file & of not you can FoI them.

I'm about to FoI Wandsworth Council and ask for Paul Martin's web browser history. I want to know what he does all day.
Post Reply
catboo1
Posts: 95
Joined: Aug 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby catboo1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm

THanks Lulubear! Sense at last!! This is what the posting was originally about and feedback from all my friends and people in my area who used to shop at Fara is the same - overpriced and they no longer go.
As you say, nice to be able to shop for some clothes/toys at slightly less than one would pay in the shops. I used to go every single weekend and do a big shop there. Now it's just not worth it and as I say, I am not alone. My neighbour across the road doesn't go at all any more for the same reason. Generally whenever Fara is mentioned at play groups or coffee mornings, the general consensus amongst all the mums is exactly this, it's a shame that they now charge too much!
Post Reply
supergirl
Posts: 1239
Joined: May 2011
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby supergirl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:23 pm

I am genuinely so sad with this post...

In the run up to Xmas, i was desparate to find new families for my children's toys to no avail. Following some recommrndations from here, i went to some hospitals (which i wont name and shame) which refused them even though they were plastic ones (as they only can have plastic ones). So out of despair, i went to Fara on Northcote Rd, asked them if they wanted them (2x full orange bags - oops shouldnt say that or else i wont get my bags allowance :lol: ), they said yes.

Now i wonder... Yes they were in pristine conditions but still... I hope they were sold for no more than a pound... (If they were sold at all :o ). What shall i tell my kids? They were saying this morning "i am so happy that our toys are with new children now (so i can have new ones :mrgreen: )"

Hope Fara stays true to its core...
Post Reply
Wandsworth_Hack
Posts: 12
Joined: Jan 2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby Wandsworth_Hack » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 am

Hello,

Really interested in this debate for a story in the Wandsworth Guardian.
Would anybody like to come forward on their views on Fara charging too much?
There is obviously a lot of local intereste given the numbers of comments and hits on this debate.

Could you please contact me on 020 8722 6344 or email arucki@london.newsquest.co.uk?

All the best,
Alexandra
Post Reply