Any Mac experts out there

5 posts
Bee@lifeafterlondon
Share this post on:

Any Mac experts out there

Postby Bee@lifeafterlondon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 pm

I'm thinking of moving from a pc to a mac. I am fed up of PC being slow despite having massive memory etc etc. Also quite like the idea of mac talking to phone and ipad as well as being more portable than my current laptop.
I want a mac that's portable rather than a desk top. I just want to get some advice on which is best. I use it for work and I work with a million windows open at the same time which is ridiculous but how I seem to do it! Anyone have any top mac tips or people I should speak to? Should I brave it and head to the mac store for proper advice?
Thanks all
galpod
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Any Mac experts out there

Postby galpod » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Hello,
I'm not a mac expert, but I have been using one for a good 7 years. I've always had a laptop (MacBook Pro), but I've also worked with the desktop ones. I like Mac a lot, but your computer is slow because it is old. Any new computer will be a vast improvement :)
I like my mac (I've had it for about 5 years now) for several reasons. First, it is pretty easy to sync my iDevice, because you live in the world of Apple. I can manage my apps and my iPhone's home screen from the computer, I can have the same favourite pages on all devices, and so on. Second, pretty much whatever happens to your computer, you take it to the apple store and they make it better. I've never had to pay for repairs, and I had the entire keyboard replaced (it was a fault with the computer but they did it all by themselves), as well as the battery replaced. Third, it just "feels" better. The user interface is nice, but I think it's a matter of preference. For what it's worth, I have yet to meet someone who switched to mac and then switched back :)
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions and I'll try to answer them.
Cheers,
Gal.
fionapm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby fionapm » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 am

We got a MacBookPro and I hate it. None of the keyboard shortcuts I use for Word, Excel, etc work on it. I really just use it for Office and the internet so it's a total pain and a waste of money.
forkful
Share this post on:

Postby forkful » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:19 am

Hi Bea@lifeafterliondon,
I've just done the exact same thing for the exact same reasons - my old PC was getting very slow and it didn't sync all that seamlessly with my iPhone and iPad. Anyway, I got a MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago and after an initial wobble (what have I DONE?!!) I now love it and am so pleased I made the change.

When you purchase the Mac, you get 3 months free Apple support and the service is amazing. The phone service is manned by real people who speak human. It makes transferring from a PC very doable knowing that you can get good help easily. Specifically, they helped me transfer my PC to the Mac using the migration assistant.

Be aware, though, that you'll probably need to buy a few extra bits of kit - I've shelled out for an thunderbolt ethernet cable (£25), windows for Mac software (£100) and an external storage device (£60) for backups. You can also pay for 2 years' apple support which is £200, and which, now I've experienced the service, I thing might be money well spent. But all quite expensive on top of an expensive computer.

I'm still using windows as I've used Word and Excel forever and thought learning new programmes would be too much for me, so that required purchasing the additional Windows software, but the key thing is it works absolutely fine on the Mac. (Lots of people warned that it wouldn't).

Overall, it took a little while to get used to my new Mac, but now that I've got the hang of it, it's just great. It's much more user-friendly than my old PC - Apple seem to recognise that home-users don't have IT departments to rely on - and I've found it much easier to stay organised using Apple's email/calendar/iMessage than it was with Outlook.

So anyway, I hope this is helpful. I'm so pleased I made the switch!

Good luck,

Ruth
Forkful Food is a highly recommended Wandsworth. Services include canapés, manapés, bowls, buffets, teas, lunches, dinners - and more! Cooked onsite or supplied "drop-off", if you're planning a party, get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!
galpod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby galpod » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:55 am

fionapm wrote:We got a MacBookPro and I hate it. None of the keyboard shortcuts I use for Word, Excel, etc work on it. I really just use it for Office and the internet so it's a total pain and a waste of money.
fionapm, you can set up all shortcuts to be whatever you like, and you can do this for each software separately or for all of them. Here's a link to fairly comprehensive how-to: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/11/11 ... rite-apps/
Also, the "command" key is the key that's used for a lot of default shortcuts in mac. So, for instance, to save a document in word is command+s, not control+s. Hope this helps :)