Would you hire a nanny that doesn't speak English? Also Age?

16 posts
irap
Options:
Share this post on:

Would you hire a nanny that doesn't speak English? Also Age?

Postby irap » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:14 am

Hello dear mums,

I need help urgently. I have to make a decision in 48 hours and I am really confused and maybe some of you have been in this decision.

We are looking for a full time nanny and one of the best candidates is 54 ( is this age still of for two little boys full of energy?) and second what really worries me is that she doesn't speak one word of English. She speaks Spanish which is our mother tongue so I am happy for her to speak in Spanish to the children. But I think that not speaking any English is really a problem. What is there is an emergency? or communicating with nursery staff?

Please someone let me know what you think! maybe I am over worrying.

Thanks
KateHelloMums
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Would you hire a nanny that doesn't speak English? Also

Postby KateHelloMums » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:46 am

Good morning,

It is a tricky question and you will have to be the final judge of it - I always say listen to your gut feeling.
Obviously the best would be to find someone who also speaks at least a bit of English - but maybe your nanny to be would be willing to start learning English (especially if you cover part of the cost) over the weekends?
In terms of age - it has become a little bit more irrelevant I think as if she is fit to do the job then why not? After all a lazy 23 year old can be worse than an active 54 year old in my opinion.
You can always start on probation and see how it goes - it is not ideal but if she is really good with the children and you then it might be worth giving it a go and see what happens.
If you have one too many doubts though then probably you need to have a second look around to be honest.
Hope this helps and best of luck!
Kate
Writerlady
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Writerlady » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:38 am

Also perhaps a lost opportunity. Children pick up languages so easily and quickly, it would be great for them to be learning another language whilst being looked after!
nanny_kitty
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nanny_kitty » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:07 am

I've been that nanny!

I used to work in Switzerland and admittedly lots of people spoke English and were accommodating but I really felt a bit vulnerable. It didn't take me long at all to learn what I needed to know to get by. That being said, I'd be loathe to have a conversation with someone informally, it was strictly necessity and I was fine.

How long has she been here? Does she really speak no English at all, or is she a bit embarassed because it's poor and she feels far more comfortable speaking to you in Spanish? I think from the language aspect for your children it would be a real asset, but totally understand your concerns.
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:57 pm

I'd have to say no, if she literally can't speak English well enough to communicate with emergency services. However, it would be worth checking to see if 999 can handle other languages (I believe they can).
irap
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby irap » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi,

She really does not speak a word of english. She arrived here one month ago and she was recommended by a friend. She worked for her parents for 14 years so its a bit reference.

I think she is fit but I did a trial out yesterday she she wouldnt be able to communicate with the teachers, or pharmacy or anything really and for sure not emergency unit.

I speak spanish at home so I would love someone who would speak in spanish to keep the language going at home but having noooo english seems scary.

IRa
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:12 pm

I really wouldn't go down this route.

I have friends who have done it, with older ladies also, and its been very hard for them and I don't think any of them would do it again.

It has been impossible for the children to have play dates, get invited to parties, be across everything that is going on at nursery and/or school etc etc. Therefore the language barrier isn't just a problem in emergency/one-off situations but it impacts the practicalities of every day life outside your home. So many of these things are organised informally at drop off / pick up. I think its really unfair on the children to miss out on so much because their nanny cant speak English.

Also, obviously, being that bit older means that she wont find it as easy to learn English that quickly. The younger you are, the quicker your brain works and so languages are easier to learn. In all likelihood, her English will probably never improve greatly if she is speaking spanish all day in her workplace.
gail0810
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gail0810 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:33 pm

I definitely wouldn't employ a nanny who couldn't speak English to a reasonable standard. As other posters have already outlined, this will make life very difficult for everyone - how would she be able to communicate when visiting a soft play place or other activity/outing, with the children's friends or other mums/nannies? Let alone in an emergency.

It could ultimately isolate your children and limit their developmental opportunities adn also exposure to the English language possibly (unless they are getting that elsewhere). You would probably easily find another nanny locally who is a spanish speaker, but also speaks good English too and that has to be preferable.
oab
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby oab » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 pm

We've emplyed a nanny who didn't speak English more than a year ago - because she came highly recommended by family friends.
We did however arrange and pay for weekly English lessons for her as soon as she started, for more than 3 months. The aim was that she would be able to handle an emergency (very important!) and get by in English at the GP, pharmacy, supermarket, etc.
Her English is now good enough for almost any situation, so for us it's worked out.
However her learning some English was essential for us, and we discussed this with her before her starting the job.
simplyme
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby simplyme » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I am a nanny who has worked in other countries and not spoken the native language. In my first job I was 18 and I couldn't even communicate with the dad as he only spoke French(mum was bilingual) It really didn't take me too long to learn it as I was so young. But in the beginning I would have struggled to be able to communicate efficiently and the village where iworked/lived it was rare to find an English speaker.
It all depends on how willing your nanny is to learn English. She will prob need an intensive course in it since all day she will be just speaking Spanish to the children.
It might effect playdates for a while as obviously it will make it hard.Passing on messages to the teacher etc is also a difficult one. How old are your children? In my first job the oldest was 6yrs old and so was able to translate which was really helpful. Though the children can also learn to try it on if they work out she doesn't understand what theyre saying if they speak english
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:39 am

Let's not beat about the bush - are you crazy??!! No no no no no. I can't believe you're even thinking about it. There's one upside (the kids get to speak Spanish) and a whole bunch of downsides. :roll:
cheshirecat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cheshirecat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:20 am

But modern technology comes to the rescue with the google translation app. I know a few nannies that don't speak English. It doesn't take them long to learn.
TFP
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TFP » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:47 am

IMO the age is a total non-issue but the language on its own easily serious enough to be a deal breaker.
Espinoza555
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Would you hire a nanny that doesn't speak English? Also Age?

Postby Espinoza555 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Even if the nanny does not know English, she can learn it over time. At the first stage, she can use an online translator. If you have a need for constant translation of texts, install yourself a translation program. A translator implemented as a program allows you to achieve a better translation quality than using online translators. It provides many advantages: there are no restrictions on the size of the translated text, support for a large number of translation topics, support for many translation directions. Pay attention to this translator https://www.translate.com/english-japanese
muddyboots
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Would you hire a nanny that doesn't speak English? Also Age?

Postby muddyboots » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:33 pm

In short, no.
It’s just adds an additional problem... miscommunications potentially at any nursery school club drop off , won’t be able to communicate with other parents when needed...
I doubt you suddenly pick up
A new language at 54.
Can’t rely on google translate for whole range of scenarios and the obvious one is emergencies. Even getting a shop done... if she doesn’t speak a word... how can she ask any questions, directions ...
Not a good idea IMO