Eaton House the Manor: refund

10 posts
NCote81
Options:
Share this post on:

Eaton House the Manor: refund

Postby NCote81 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi everyone,

Looking for any advice from parents who have been through something similar...

My son was due to start Reception at Eaton House in Clapham this September. Due to a change in circumstances, he will be attending another school.

Eaton House explained our deposit and first term's fees would only be refunded if they could fill the place that we cancelled. This came as no surprise to us since it was clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions. We gave Eaton House a heads up in May that we wished to cancel the place, hoping that the vacancy would be filled given it was a sought after school with (presumably) a waiting list.

However we have now been told that they have been unable to fill the place and, unless any progress has been made over the next few weeks (extremely unlikely), the deposit and fees will not be refunded.

We knew this was a risk when we chose to switch schools, but given its a significant amount of money, I was wondering if any parents who have been through something similar have any advice?

Thanks.
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Eaton House the Manor: refund

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Realistically I think you're a bit stuck, as it's clearly stated when you pay the fees and deposit. I once heard of someone who was able to get some back by proving a material change in circumstances which prevented them from paying the school fees and they therefore had to move their child to a state school. Hearsay though!
lolaloves
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lolaloves » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm

I am quite surprised they have not been able to fill the place? I thought there was quite a long waiting list? However, they do more than most schools who don't consider ever giving the deposit back!

You could try and call and ask if there are any places available, pretending to be a prospective parent and see what they say? If they say they are full then you know they have filled the space!

I do know someone who got their deposit back in October last year. Good luck!
fairleewellbeing
Share this post on:

Postby fairleewellbeing » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 am

Perhaps posting about a last minute Eaton House place on here might attract some interest. If they can't fill the place, I'd hope they shouldn't mind if you help them do it
cheesesandwich
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cheesesandwich » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:41 am

I think this is really not on. We had a terrible experience after reception year giving virtually all of the notice period bar one week due to the fact we were also trying to sell house/get confirmation of another school in a different area. Eaton house couldn't have been less sympathetic and held us to the entire terms fees. I emailed to explain but it was pointless. Worse still they lost my sons entire reception year work - I had to keep chasing and chasing and I was told the year teacher would send something to us but she never did. His first year at school without a single memento and yet we were forced to pay for a term we never even used. I thought the greed of it was quite disgusting actually. But there you go - it still grates me clearly! I don't believe they can't fill the places one bit, more to the point they don't have the staff to take the care to find out.
MummytoT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MummytoT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:56 am

I'm afraid I think you are stuck with the situation (as frustrating as it is). We were in your situation last year, having paid deposits to two schools in the area, Eaton House being one, and then we decided to move out of the area. As one poster has already mentioned, at least Eaton House does actually commit to return deposit and fees (minus reasonable admin fee) if they are able to fill the place in their Ts&Cs which is fairly reasonable from a
legal perspective and is more than the other local private schools offer. I suppose we were lucky because our place was filled over the summer and Eaton House notified us of this and did not quibble about returning our deposit and fees. We had to battle the other school in question until earlier this year as they refused to confirm whether or not our place was filled (from which we drew the conclusion that it had been filled or else why would they not confirm to us - we said we were willing to walk away from the deposit and first term's fees if the place had not been filled as that seemed fair enough). Finally, I wouldn't always assume that these schools start the term full, in most cases they do (or can fill a space within the first term as new people move into the area) but I know last year a number of schools, including one in particular that is very sought after/assessed entry etc, were ringing round parent friends of mine offering their children reception places in late August to start a few weeks later in the September. Fingers crossed your place does get filled over the summer and you never know, even if it doesn't and you have to pay the fees, they might fill the space once term has started so I would keep calling them to check throughout the Autumn, if it does and they've collected a deposit from that child's parents, they might be willing to refund you some part of your fees and deposit. Good luck!
NvnAnon
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NvnAnon » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:10 am

It might not be a bad idea to post in one of the expat communities on Facebook, eg. the US Expats in London group as people are moving here with kids all the time completely unaware as to the process of finding a place for their children. You might find someone who is settling in your area who would jump at the place. I'm on the US expat group if you want to email me a brief blurb to post.
treilly@bluebirdmarcom.com
Talkman
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Talkman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Terms and condtions apply.
coolmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby coolmum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm

coolmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby coolmum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:01 pm

We pulled our children out after reception as we weren't impressed with the amount of newly qualified teachers versus the amount you pay in fees. We were a few days from giving the notice period and they held us to paying the full amount. We were also told that if they filled the place we'd get it back.

Eaton house only has waiting lists in the nursery, it does not have waiting lists in the main school (well definitely not the boys part).

We also had other issues with the school and we fought with them for over a year. Eventually they gave us back 75% admitting fault.