Scam fundraising collector?

7 posts
AlexaH11
Options:
Share this post on:

Scam fundraising collector?

Postby AlexaH11 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:49 pm

We've recently had a young girl calling at our house in Balham, collecting money for a sponsored walk. She claims that we sponsored her £20 in the New Year but couldn't collect the money before the event so is returning having completed the walk to collect funds for the British Red Cross. She has a long list of sponsors (all £10 or £20) by name and street (including mine) and a certificate saying she has raised nearly £8,000.

I have no recollection of sponsoring her and would not usually give that much money to a cold caller so am slightly perplexed by the whole thing. She has since returned two more times and been fairly forceful about trying to collect the money, saying she is soon to be returning to university so would like it now.

I just wondered if anyone else in the area has had a similar experience?
StinkyMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Scam fundraising collector?

Postby StinkyMummy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 am

Yes- exactly the same thing. I do remember her coming previously and I think I might have sponsored her but it would have been a tiny amount - £3 or so.

When she came back to collect the sponsorship money it said £20 next to my name! I told her I never would have sponsored her that much and I think I gave her whatever was in my purse at the time and she went away.

I noticed that what I had supposedly written was done in pencil and it did look like it had been rubbed over several times.

Very difficult to know what to do and so I put it down to experience and will be less trusting in future and always write in pen.
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:09 am

OMG!! Yes! I had the same. She’d been before and we were really nice, came in chatted to the kids. I did £5 at most.

A young black girl, slightly chubby? Some story about her Grandma.

My husband was in when she came back, kids recognised her and he said “wow, £20 is a lot” when I got home!

Thank you for this! I knew I hadnt sponsored that.

What a little madam. Disgusting. I hope karma comes back hard for her. Quite upset that she used my daughters to gain trust too.
StinkyMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby StinkyMummy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:44 am

Yes that’s her. She was really smiley and sweet which was why I sponsored her in the first place! And she had a really convincing story about the sponsored walk.
Bubs
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bubs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:50 am

Yes, she did. Urgh - how disgusting! What balls to go and do that knowingly to people/families. Vile individual.
AlexaH11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AlexaH11 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 am

Yes sounds like the same girl! I hate being so cyncical about things like this but half wondered if I was going mad as she was so adamant I’d sponsored her! Really sad that this is all going on. It surely must class as a criminal / fraudulent act?
cuqui03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cuqui03 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Oh no! I think it happened to me as well but just asked for straight sponsorship, had never seen her before and collected right then. Now I know better.