Moving to UK - Richmond?

5 posts
Nikky
Share this post on:

Moving to UK - Richmond?

Postby Nikky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Mums!

It will be first time in UK, moving late May / early June. I've been looking / choosing where to live & school. Are there any mums living in Richmond area who tell me more about the area and schools. I have a four year old daughter.
SW12Pops
Share this post on:

Re: Moving to UK - Richmond?

Postby SW12Pops » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:52 am

The area is lovely and leafy - if a little "out" of London.

The big issue you'll have is schooling - can I ask if your going private or state?

If it's state where you live is pretty much the only factor (religious schools aside) as each school has a catchment area. If you're going down the private route then you'll need to get moving as waiting lists can be very long...
SouthLondonDaddy
Share this post on:

Postby SouthLondonDaddy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:53 pm

So you have not been to Richmond yet? I'd be put off by the noise from the airplanes landing at Heathrow. Other people wouldn't - it's very subjective so you should try for yourself.
dudette
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 am

You’re not really asking the right people - this site is mainly aimed at the area of South London known as Nappy Valley which is around Battersea, Wandsworth, Clapham, Balham and Tooting. Richmond is quite a long way away.
Ferrywind
Share this post on:

Postby Ferrywind » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 am

Hi Nikky
Don’t worry lots of us are Richmond way- (there’s a Richmond part of nappy valley website separately but sure lots will see your post!)
As earlier poster said can give more details on schools if know private or state. If state bear in mind you will need to live VERY close to the one you want as catchments are tiny and you will have missed entry for this coming September anyway. On plus side pretty much all the state and private primary schools in the area are excellent (hence the tiny catchments!)
Richmond Park is beautiful to have on doorstep and transport links are excellent as have train and tube. I’m SW London all my life and don’t think you can beat Richmond upon Thames as a borough for amount of green space. That said there’s lots of alternatives in the borough where you can get more for your money thanRichmond itself house wise and still benefit from the area. Personally I found Richmond perfect up until my 30s when had baby and now prefer Twickenham as easier day to day with buggy- wider pavements, quieter cafes etc as is not as popular for shopping so is mainly mums and babies about in week! I’m happy to answer any questions you have about different areas / schools etc- just let me know X