Divorce - what are "likely" splits?

3 posts
SW12Pops
Options:
Share this post on:

Divorce - what are "likely" splits?

Postby SW12Pops » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi
Asking on behalf of my cousin (honestly!).

Cousin is probably going to get divorced.

His wife doesn't work in paid employment (she worked hard raising children, keeping home etc) but has raised two children whom are now grown up and at university.

Can anyone give me a steer on "likely" splits of assets? I've heard 70% for the non-working spouse (as they will earn less in future) but some friends have reckoned that it's 50% now that children have left.

I'm trying to be supportive and knowledgeable - will naturally try to push him in direction of mediation and lawyer.

Tks all.
foodeditorjo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Divorce - what are "likely" splits?

Postby foodeditorjo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:17 am

I would have thought 50/50 which seems fair. It will be down to them to agree on this during mediation. I think the minute one side wants more is when people dig their heels in and it all starts to get nasty. If her children have left home the view would be that she is now able to go out to work so why on earth would she need to fleece her ex husband for 70%, possibly causing a massive legal fight, not to mention resentment and bad feeling that could affect her children?
gymgoer
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Divorce - what are "likely" splits?

Postby gymgoer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am

It will be 50/50 unless there is malicious harm and the spouse was hurt . Trust me I know.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.