Bike recommendations

3 posts
nicolap
Options:
Share this post on:

Bike recommendations

Postby nicolap » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

Morning all!

I am looking for some advice on getting a new bike- needs to be a good upright one for basic street cycling with a child seat on back and a sturdy basket for a small dog at the front. Been admiring other mothers on Electra’s, Bobbins and Dawes duchess brands so far...
Any advice appreciated!

Nicola :)
delsh
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Bike recommendations

Postby delsh » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am

I'd be interested in this too. I currently cycle with my toddler to nursery and back and have a really cheap, crappy and heavy bike which I need to replace before winter sets in as I don't trust it to get through any sort of challenging weather.

One thing I would say about the Bobbin and Duchess bikes is although they look great and are comfortable, they tend to be a lot heavier than most bikes. I used to have a similar bike and there's no way I'd put my toddler on the back of it, plus a basket with all our stuff - I'm just not fit enough to move that kind of weight!! 

My wish list for a new bike now is for it to be super light but sturdy and to be relatively upright for comfort. 
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Bike recommendations

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:57 pm

I'd take a look at the aluminium frame myself.  The Bobbin and 'dutch' weigh a ton and really aren't that much fun pedalling up even Battersea Rise.  Look on sites like Wiggle, Halfords etc for hybrid bikes.  Go for disc brakes which are better in the wet especially if you're carrying kids/pets etc.  Feel free to ask me any questions etc.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.