Chance to meet our MP Marsha de Cordova at the Alma Pub (by Wandsworth Town station) on Thursday 18th October

2 posts
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Chance to meet our MP Marsha de Cordova at the Alma Pub (by Wandsworth Town station) on Thursday 18th October

Postby GuyD73 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am

I'm sure there will lots of questions about Labour's position on Brexit, as well as concerns about the NHS, social care and universal credit, but for me, the biggest story of the week is this.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexit ... ming-polit

If true, this suggests the police have been leaned on by the government into delaying an investigation into breaches of the law by the Leave campaign. Could this be because Cabinet ministers are implicated in the overspend and collusion between campaigns? Either way it seems to herald the death of the rule of law in the UK, and is a shameful stain on our democracy and political discourse. Labour should be all over this, it will interesting to see if an urgent question is tabled.

What does everyone else make of this? Is anyone else utterly disgusted by this abuse of power and corruption of our justice system? I could scarcely believe I was reading it... I'd be quick to reserve your place, I expect this meeting may be rammed!

https://www.wandsworth.eu/meet_marsha_di_cordova_mp
mum_1980
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Chance to meet our MP Marsha de Cordova at the Alma Pub (by Wandsworth Town station) on Thursday 18th October

Postby mum_1980 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:52 am

I was shocked when the nation voted to leave. I was disgusted by the underhand tactics of the official Leave campaigns, but now I am no longer shocked. I feel somewhat naive to have expected that our politicians had any kind of moral dignity.  I'm sad to be honest, very sad. If there is no respect for law, well then anything is possible. I know many are now apathetic, tired, disappointed, and really just want to get on with their day to day lives, but we can't give up and we shouldn't give up where there has been major wrongdoing. This must be investigated properly and the appropriate punishments should be dished out. Our politicians must know that they are accountable to us, to our democratic processes and to the rule of law. However, what does that mean for Brexit? Should there be another referendum? Many staunchly say "yes", many say "no, the nation has spoken" even if their votes were not based on true fact and many, I suspect, just cannot stomach another poll. I don't think any of us had the full picture before the referendum and I am not sure we do now. I think this talk will be very lively and it will be interesting to see what our local MP says.