Anyone had both an elected c section and natural birth?

6 posts
Louisegd1
Options:
Share this post on:

Anyone had both an elected c section and natural birth?

Postby Louisegd1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:37 am

Hi I’m 7 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I’ve aleays been terrified of the pain of childbirth.
I’ve always thought I’ll have a c section but can anyone who’s had both types of births tell me their view of which method they preferred?
Also would like to know how it was looking after a newborn baby after c section.

Thank you
mum_1980
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Anyone had both an elected c section and natural birth?

Postby mum_1980 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi Louise,

It sounds like you are really anxious about this which is totally normal. Please don't worry, you are only 7 weeks pregnant and you've still got a long while ago. Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy rather than be worried the whole time. I know, far easier said that done. I think you should try meditation. Also, get to know other expecting mums and join your local NCT. Think about getting in touch with a doula or a birthing expert.  

I have had both a natural birth and a c-section and neither went according to the plan I had in my head. There is no point in telling you my birthing story or listening to others as they are all so different and to be honest will probably terrify you even more!! So just focus on yourself not what other people have done.

You will probably have to go with what your baby and your body dictate. I really wanted to have a drug free birth in one of those 'home' rooms in the hospital. In the end, I couldn't. My circumstances dictated that the baby needed monitoring and I took an epidural. For the second child, because of medical reasons, I had to have a c-section. They both had their pros and cons, but the best thing is that I got the most gorgeous babies at the end of both. 

My recovery from c-section was pretty quick, but that was my case. I know for some people it takes longer and for some less. I was lucky and my recovery was a lot quicker than I thought. I was able to carry my baby and get up and down pretty much straight away. So again, you just don't know how your body will react.

At this stage, I would say focus on yourself and your health and your baby. Do everything you can to look after yourself whether its swimming, yoga or long walks. Don't dwell on the pain. There is no going back now, so what's the point in spending another 9 months or so working yourself up into a panic!

Good luck. It will all be worth it in the end.
petal
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby petal » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Hi,

It must feel daunting, but your body is designed to cope and prepare your body for birth.
You will find as many horror stories as amazing birth stories.
It’s very very unpredictable, nobody can predict the outcome of any birth.
Therefore, it’s best to not worry.
What really helped me was the simple fact that every single woman at work/friends/etc had her baby and was fine.
You might think OMG how can I do this, you can, just like your mum and all other mums did. They always come out ;) whichever way.

My personal view (and it’s up to each woman to come to her own conclusion) is that a natural birth is much better for your body, once the baby is out, you are still yourself minus being temporarily sore.
When you have a C-section you are undergoing serious abdominal surgery with several layers of muscle being cut open that has to heal, you have additional infection risk that comes with any major surgery, your baby will not gain the important exposure to your bacteria, your recovery is longer and more difficult.
You will require more help after birth normally.

Like the other poster said, try to enjoy your pregnancy and re-check how you feel later on. Hopefully you will feel calmer and more sure about what you want.
h.davies1984
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby h.davies1984 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 am

I’d highly recommend going to one of the positive birth movement sessions. I went to one in Tooting and it was great to fill me with confidence leading up to the birth of my daughter. I’d also consider having a doula if you are anxious about it and are able to afford one.
My labour didn’t go to ‘plan’ but it was amazing and I was so overwhelmed by the whole process and the amazing people we have to look after us. I can’t wait to hopefully do it again one day. More than happy to answer any questions by pm if it’s be helpful. Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy as much as possible!
And as someone said to me- you’re pregnant for 9 months, in labour for max a number of days and then you have a newborn baby to care for forever. I’d not spend a disproportionate amount of time worrying about the birth x x
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 am

I would highly highly recommend doing a hypnobirthing course. It does two things - firstly it takes away the fear, and secondly it teaches you a special breathing method to help cope with the contractions (which they call surges). The problem with being anxious is that the tension can interfere with the contractions which will make labour longer and harder. I had both my kids using hypnobirthing (I’m the sort of person who feels faint after an injection!) and I even used the breathing when I had a bad accident earlier this year. Also I would recommend a birth doula - see if you can find one who has done hypnobirthing; if not take her along to the sessions with you. I can’t imagine why anyone would choose major surgery over something their body has been designed to do. Don’t underestimate how amazing it is to give birth to another human (and how nice it is to get up and have a shower afterwards!). And don’t listen to other people’s horror stories. Everyone has a different experience (my two births were both very different) and unfortunately you generally only get to hear the bad ones. If giving birth was that bad everyone would only have one child!
DietCokefan
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DietCokefan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:56 am

Hello Louisegd1,
I am totally hearing you.  I think I may have seen one too many documentaries about childbirth at a young age and lived in fear of it for years.  I've now had two children, and will give you a few points from my own reality.

With the first pregnancy, in the late stages, I wouldn't say I became fear-free, but I think the inevitability kicked in about 7/8 months, and I definitely became less fearful.  In the end my first one was 2 weeks late, followed by induction and an emergency C-section.  I had a good recovery and no infections etc, but it's still major surgery.

Second time around, I was trying to avoid having the same experience, particularly the hideousness of induction (in my obviously limited experience, and with a 10+ pound baby it was probably never going to be very successful).  As it turned out, my 2nd child came 2.5 weeks early, I had a regular delivery with gas/air only.  I'd be lying if I said the whole process was pleasant, but it was definitely doable, and the recovery was much quicker than after the C-section.  I was lucky to have quite a quick labour, probably 6 hours total, but only really an hour or two of really full-on contractions.  (That last couple of hours was comparable to how I was feeling throughout the 12 hours of induction in my first pregnancy, before it was agreed to move on to the C-section.  Prior to that my second labour was very manageable.)

I went to antenatal classes both times and both were good, but I'm really glad I went to second time around as that trainer did a quick session on the importance of breathing and keeping your body calm, and the blood with the baby/contractions, rather than with the vital organs if you start panicking and not deep breathing.  This may sound really obvious but it definitely helped me have a manageable labour the second time. 

Having had a C-section the first time and having a 3.5 year old by the time my second arrived, I was very keen to avoid a section if possible, as I would have struggled to be carrying a 3.5 year old around, and there was certainly no one offering to come look after us!  I'm assuming from your post that this is your first so this is unlikely to be a factor for you.

As other posters have said, whatever your plan is, it will almost certainly not turn out that way.  Common wisdom will tell you that first labours tend to be long, but you will almost certainly meet mums who were done in 2 hours.  Try to garner as much info as you can about the different birth units available, the epidural process (if you're interested) etc.  You may have to seek this all out yourself.  The first community midwife I had with my first child was to my mind useless;  you have a lot of time in your booking appointment and she didn't even tell me about the options of where to deliver.

This will probably be annoying to hear (and easy for me to say now I'm on the other side of childbirth), but the birth bit is a finite process, and ultimately passes quite quickly.  Don't forget to also prepare for looking after a baby, and pulling in as much help for that as you can. 

Best of luck x