IVF: NHS or Private?

19 posts
CandiceL
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: IVF: NHS or Private?

Postby CandiceL » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:29 am

We initially went to st heliors but moved after one appointment. We also went private at the lister (where I was just a number in a long line). But we had Tarek El Touky at guys and st Thomas, who does private and nhs and honestly the man is a wizard. There are more than 12 babies in my group of friends that have been conceived in his clinic- both private and nhs. I’d highly recommend him, he leaves no stone unturned!

The only practical thing to say is that in the cycle, you have to go in most mornings first thing for about 2 weeks, so make sure you can get to the hospital you choose in the morning before work/commitments.

Good luck!
Mummytobe89
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mummytobe89 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:54 am

Hi there.

Me and my husband embarked on the start of our fertility journey during 2017, he had a low sperm count test so we were referred. Back then we knew very little about infertility and the Ivf process. We eventually qualified for the nhs unexplained fertility treatment after waiting 3 years.

We started off going to St Guys which was an okey experience but they are (were) very hard to get in touch with, the admin team leaves a lot to be desired and my husband would end up emailing the consultants directly about admin related request, which would sometimes get resolved but sometimes not. When COVID hit our appointment for planning treatment got cancelled and when everything open back up again we were told there were a huge backlog of cycles (since it’s such a massive clinic).

We decided at that point to go private and got in touch with the best and conveniently located clinics for us. I used HFEA results to look at live birth rates and we ended up emailing 5 private clinics in London. One of them was Kings fertility, after speaking to the admin staff there she advised that if we transferred our nhs care there we would be seen before our original appointment at st guys. I trusted her and we transferred there and wow. During my first visit I was impressed with everything. The medical abs admin staff are AMAZING. The facilities are beautiful, st guys is pretty depressing, this sounds like a silly thing but you do end up spending a lot of time there.

So, I had a fresh round of IVF and they took out 21 (!!!) eggs and due to the amount they decided not to do a fresh cycle, which of course is disappointing but you have to trust that they knew what the right decision is. We ended up with 6 really high quality embryos, so 2 months after I had a frozen embryo transfer, which resulted in a pregnancy that I lost in week 5, which was really sad and of course hugely upsetting. I wanted to get straight back to it, but due to limited appointment and my period dates we had to wait 2 cycles before our next transfer date. I felt that the consultants took extra care trying to establish why the first pregnancy was lost, so I had extra blood tests before my next transfer which has resulted in a current 18 week pregnancy which we are delighted with. I highly recommend kings fertility, all the staff are wonderful and whenever I had a worry at home I could phone them and get answers straight away which really helped during the process.
Let me know if there is anything else you’d like to know and sorry for my very long message.
AliceMacInnes
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AliceMacInnes » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 am

My husband and I were in the fortunate position of being able to go private. What we did was pursue both avenues and see which was quicker (as we were impatient). We did some research and found out that we could do one private cycle and still remain eligible for NHS (worth research it varies from borough to borough) so ended up going with London Women’s Clinic on Harley Street and now have a gorgeous little girl.
Tata40
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tata40 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Paula83

Hi there
I have ivf isci last September 2021 @nhs St. Helier 10 egg retrieval 7 embryos fertilised 2 Blastocyst but turn to chimical pregnancy. Good nurse and staff it's just my luck not to work on 1st time. Went back to hospital today I said aask if I needed a egg donor or not doctor said for my age 40 collected 10 egg no needed for donor yet. Just try again so I was thinking go for self funding nhs because it's cheaper and hopefully would work in 2nd time.