Grove Hall nursery - Ofsted 4 Inadequate

79 posts
Balham31
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Grove Hall nursery - Ofsted 4 Inadequate

Postby Balham31 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:52 pm

They seem to have really upped their game, new French teacher, music class and visit from the dentist. Let's hope they keep this up! :D
kiwimummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kiwimummy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Balham31 wrote:They seem to have really upped their game, new French teacher, music class and visit from the dentist. Let's hope they keep this up! :D
Yes, I'm sure those things will be great consolation to the babies that go home hungry! :roll:
Balhammum2020
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammum2020 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Just so people are updated, there was an additional inspection about a month after the initial inspection - this is available on this link and was reported last Friday: http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-rep ... E/EY416962

It looks like some progress has been made but there are still issues to be addressed relating to availability of resources for the children which hopefully are in the process of being resolved. A new security system was installed this week and we are told the whole gate will be replaced in the next couple of weeks.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:19 pm

So they have upped the staff and the kids now have access to drinking water

But the Ofsted inspector managed to get into the premises unchallenged.... it's not great is it
sixfootredhead
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sixfootredhead » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Agreed - even the more recent monitoring report highlights that improvements still need to be made. You would think that with the original inspection report being so bad they would have gone great guns and done more than enough to ensure they are providing a first class nursery environment and yet...no. Still more to be done. Disappointing.
https://www.mathnasium.co.uk/clapham
https://www.nightingalemontessori.co.uk/
http://www.abbevillenannies.co.uk/home/
https://merrygoround.club/
https://www.345nurseryschool.com/
Ippyevie
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ippyevie » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the update. Oh dear. The report doesn't sound encouraging.
Balhammum2020
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammum2020 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 pm

Yes, definitely room for improvement! Although I guess this inspection is now a couple of months old and was done when the old manager was still there. Hopefully they continue to progress.
aab203
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby aab203 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 pm

Hi there,

As a prospective parent it has been good to read this thread. However it would be good if someone could detail here what was said at the meeting so that myself and others can all see what they had to say about the report :)

Thanks!
SabineMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SabineMum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:10 am

Hi aab203,

Just to say that you can PM me with specific questions you may have about the nursery. My experience of Grove Hall is a positive one and I'd be happy to explain why I have all confidence in the nursery. While it may not look like it from this thread, I believe most parents, like me, didn't recognise their child's nursery in the Ofsted report. It's also important to note that most have kept their child at Grove when could have removed him/her following the report. The whole staff are working very hard at turning things around and regaining their 'Good' mark from Ofsted and, in my view, these efforts are being unjustifiably sneered at here.
https://www.mathnasium.co.uk/clapham
https://merrygoround.club/
https://www.nightingalemontessori.co.uk/
Balhammum2020
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammum2020 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:49 am

Hi aab203 - I have sent you an email with my views on the nursery. I agree with SabineMum - our experience has been positive as well, and that has been echoed by the majority of parents we have been in touch with.
cdaley
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cdaley » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi
As a prospective parent looking at the Grove for my 6 month baby I was very interested by this thread. After a recent viewing, I was fairly impressed with the nursery and was considering sending my son there, however Im now thinking twice. Would anyone we willing to answer some specific questions for me, ideally someone with a baby in the baby room and that went to the recent parents evening?
Thanks
Familycompleted
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Familycompleted » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:54 pm

aab203 & cdaley, please PM me if you like. My 3 yr old goes there and I am expecting nb 2 in March and am planning to send him/her there no hesitation. I love the staff and I think its a good place despite the recent palaver. I agree that the owner is totally uncharismatic but my son has only had a lovely time there and I think our nb 2 will be happy too. Let me know if there are specific points you want answered.
sixfootredhead
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sixfootredhead » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 pm

sixfootredhead wrote:I would also like to add my two cents worth as I have a toddler who has been at Grove Hall for over a year now and who seems to really enjoy his time there.

Of course, the OFSTED report is very concerning and like other parents who have posted on here I will be interested to hear what they say for themselves at the parents meeting. The note about the ratio of staff to children is a worry - as parents our primary concern is that our children are properly and adequately supervised.

While I don't see what goes on at the nursery day to day I know my son is happy to be dropped off and he regularly enjoys activities which he doesn't have at home on a regular basis. The Bora Bora beach party looked like such fun for the kids - the photos on display are evidence of them having a great time. They also go on outings to the zoo, the library etc and have regular access to outside space and they are sent home with some of their artwork for parents to keep so they are certainly being stimulated on a creativity front. Whether it is as often as OFSTED requires, I cannot know.

As regards the staff, my son has had some wonderful key workers while in the baby room who have taken a real interest in him and who he outwardly loves - one in particular he adores. I have never found the management to be rude or difficult - but perhaps to English parents some of the dialogue gets a bit lost in translation. As a French speaker it is perhaps easier to have a conversation.

My only 'criticisms' of the nursery are:

(1) nappy changing could be more frequent - even though 4-5 nappy changes are logged on the daily report I have turned up a couple of times where my son has had a soiled nappy and it has not been changed - it could be a coincidence. Also, he has had severe nappy rash on a couple of occasions while in the baby room which he never had at home.
(2) There seems to be quite a high turnover of staff. There are some stalwarts who have been there a long time but beyond them there seems to be a fair bit of movement. This may be the case in many nurseries - I am sure the salaries are not particularly motivating given the responsibilities nursery assistants are charged with.
(3) Hand-washing - my son on a number of occasions has come home with filthy hands - perhaps from playing outdoors.
(4) He has also come home on a number of occasions very thirsty so I wondered if they were offering water frequently enough. This hasn't happened in a while so it could have been a few isolated incidents.

But overall we have been really pleased with Grove Hall and feel that this report does not accurately reflect the level of service and care provided.

Improvements will hopefully be made and retained in order to bring it back to it's former rating - obviously we will all benefit from this but it would be sad if all the positive effort that is put in was not acknowledged.

Over and out.
Just as an update to this post we ended up removing our son from Grove Hall for a number of reasons but in part because the parents evening didn't satisfy us that things would change adequately or quickly. Perhaps they will - it would be great to be proved wrong as the remaining children deserve the high level of care that should be expected but has been recently lacking. There are some good carers there and I wish them all well and hope that they can help turn it around.
http://www.nappyvalleynannies.co.uk
http://www.abbevillenannies.co.uk/home/
bumbling-along
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby bumbling-along » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Evening, I was just wondering if anyone who still has their children at Grove Hall could let me know how things are currently. I went to have a second look around today and again came away feeling confused. I love the open space but was worried again by a bit of unfriendliness on my arrival, some of the staff looking a bit bored and one little boy all by himself in the corner of the room. I really don't know what to think and I am in desperate need of some help and advise. I hope to hear from you if you can help. Many thanks
Familycompleted
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Familycompleted » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Bunbling-along,

The follow-up parents meeting will take place on Friday so perhaps some of us can update you then. We still have our LO there as he is in the toddler room and still loves it. We have seen some other kindergartens/day care centres in the area (just as he will be moving to pre-prep next Sep anyway and we wondered if it would make sense to move him a bit earlier to the KG or pre receptions on site of the school) and frankly don't see too much of a difference. The staff are willing to go the extra mile and when I asked if they would sit one to one during nap time (he no longer naps) to do some workbooks or some extra reading, they said no problem.

When you say unfriendly welcome today - I wondered - was it the owner that you met or actual (female) staff who was that way? The owner has charisma left wanting.... But I think enough of that has been said already.

Happy for you to PM me if you have specific questions. I am expecting Nb 2 in march/April and planning to send the LO to GH from Sep.... Just FYI. Then again I am not one of those moms who frets about every single thing needing to be perfect! I don't expect the nursery to provide better care that I can is what I am trying to say I suppose!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.