Reviews on Parkgate House Nursery

8 posts
BettyBoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Reviews on Parkgate House Nursery

Postby BettyBoo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi

We are thinking of a nursery for our 2.5yr son next year and wondered if there were any reviews from parents with children there. I know the school has positive reviews but not heard much about the nursery.

It's very close to our house hence v convenient.
pearlywhite
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Reviews on Parkgate House Nursery

Postby pearlywhite » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 pm

From my experience there seem to be small class sizes and happy kids. It seems to be a very nice place.
BettyBoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BettyBoo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Thank you Pearly White. Will get an appt to see them.
harriedmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby harriedmum » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:57 am

Hello, this post seems a bit historic, but even if you have already visited the school, a parent's view often helps.

Both my children (one boy, one girl) went to the nursery at Parkgate House and it is lovely. It is a very nurturing, caring environment, which doesn't rush the children but gently moves them forward at their own pace. They focus a lot on seasonal festivals, fireworks, remembrance day, xmas etc, which gives the children a lovely sense of the world around them, while keeping it at their level.

There is no pressure on the children, no selection process ever and yet they are really well prepared for the transition to reception and onwards.

The staff are very friendly and caring and jolly and very happy to keep you up to date on what the children do on a daily basis, which is lovely as a parent if your child is not so good at explaining what they have done.

Lastly, especially in the second year of nursery they are extremely flexible on the amount of time your child can attend - anywhere from five mornings to five full days plus clubs if your child is up to it. My son was very active and so started the second year with two full days, three mornings and one club and was up to three fulls days and two mornings by the end of the year. My daughter was much more tired out by nursery and so worked her way up much slower (only getting to two full days, three mornings, no clubs), but never felt she missed out on what those children did who do five full days as the universal subjects (all montessori based) are done in the mornings when everyone attends, and the afternoons are more activity based play. (Hope I am explaining this well.)

In summary it's a great nursery that set my children up brilliantly for reception both socially and academically. I'll declare an interest my daughter still attends and is in Year 1.

Hope that helps. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
catty29a
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catty29a » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Both my children are at Parkgate House and have been through the nursery (the younger one is currently in Nursery 2)and I think it is really one of the best around. Other schools have better PR I know, but honestly, having seen other nurseries I don't think you can better for individual attention, really caring staff and just a lovely atmosphere. If such things matter to you, my older daughter was starting to read by the end of nursery 2 and my younger daughter appears to be going the same way. The approach at Parkgate is gentle and adapted to suit the child and both my children are flourishing and happy. Do PM me if you want any more info. Cat
https://www.345nurseryschool.com/
https://www.mathnasium.co.uk/clapham
https://www.nightingalemontessori.co.uk/
http://www.abbevillenannies.co.uk/home/
https://merrygoround.club/
BettyBoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BettyBoo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you all. We visited Parkgate on Saturday for their Open Day and loved it, as you say the staff were great and no hint of snobbery or pretentiousness, which is what I was concerned about. I'm striving for a very grounded upbringing for my son. It is just at the end of our road which is great. he wouldn't be able to start until Sept 2014 due to age and term times. Just now need to figure out childcare for end of the day and when I get home from work.
catty29a
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catty29a » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Glad you liked it and yes, should have probably added that one of the major reasons we like Parkgate so much is the other parents. Very down-to-earth, normal and definitely not snobby! Also pretty international in terms of student body.
jensterx
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jensterx » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 pm

I have two kids at Parkgate as well. My youngest is in the Nursery and loves it. Disappointed that Saturday isn't a school day - that kind of happy. :) One month into the school term and both of my children are flourishing. And I agree with Cat - the other parents are fantastic. I consider myself lucky to have stumbled upon Parkgate.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.