What do you look for when selecting a nursery?

4 posts
Simon&thenannies
Options:
Share this post on:

What do you look for when selecting a nursery?

Postby Simon&thenannies » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Hello Everyone,

My partner and i are a few months away from having our first baby, I'm so excited!

This life changing event has also got the grey cells motivated and we're considering opening a nursery in Earlsfield. Big Move! We would love to hear your thoughts on what you think are important consideration's in what we as parents ( and future parents) would expect in a good quality nursery.

An important aspect i would like to get correct is the cost to us the parents. Looking at some of the other offerings in Earlsfield look to be on the expensive side. What do you consider fair?

thanks in advance everyone, i look forward to learning what's important.

Si
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: What do you look for when selecting a nursery?

Postby supergirl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

IMO "fair" is too broad a question, the answers you will get is obviously the best at a minimal cost. It is not realistic because if you want your nursery to be outstanding (i dont mean that in the offsted sense) you ll see that you ll need outstanding carers, toys, facilities, food, toys, ratio, etc and that has a cost.

So my answer to you is as a parent and it is only my opinion is that you get what you pay for (within your budget). For us Bridge Lane was exactly what we were looking for: a home away from home, fab toys and garden, purpose built facilities, fantastic carers, nurturing, challenging, yummy food, the msnager knows all the kids names, they are great because they listen to you, to your child. This is what i was looking for in a nursery. You check them as a benchmark maybe.

Good luck in your venture and congratulations on the birth!
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:35 pm

IMO "fair" is too broad a question, the answers you will get is obviously the best at a minimal cost. It is not realistic because if you want your nursery to be outstanding (i dont mean that in the offsted sense) you ll see that you ll need outstanding carers, toys, facilities, food, toys, ratio, etc and that has a cost.

So my answer to you is as a parent and it is only my opinion is that you get what you pay for (within your budget). For us Bridge Lane was exactly what we were looking for: a home away from home, fab toys and garden, purpose built facilities, fantastic carers, nurturing, challenging, yummy food, the msnager knows all the kids names, they are great because they listen to you, to your child. This is what i was looking for in a nursery. You should check them as a benchmark maybe.

Good luck in your venture and congratulations on the birth!
Amme_2005
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Amme_2005 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:39 pm

There is def a need for another nursery in earlsfield. Our child is currently at magdalen but it is very expensive. They do have great facilities, invest in toys, materials etc and the staff are great - but it does make quite a dent in my salary!

I think the usual things apply when parents look for a nursery - friendly and caring staff, home made meals, nice clean facilities, reasonable price etc. but, it might be worth thinking slightly out the box and consider how you could be unique. For example:

1. More flexibility in hours and costs. A friend uses a nursery that is open 24/7 to cater for all types of working patterns. I am not saying that is the answer but worth considering how you could be creative and cater for parents who need earlier drop off or later pick up, or work shifts e.g drs
2. Potential to help with school age siblings so that children aren't separate. Eg. Breakfast club, drop off/pick up and dinner

Good luck - demand will be high if you go ahead!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.