HELP! I have to interview a nanny

4 posts
Charlie
Options:
Share this post on:

HELP! I have to interview a nanny

Postby Charlie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:36 am

Hi
I need some help! I have to interview a nanny this weekend and I have no idea of what I should ask!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
kathy yvanovich
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: HELP! I have to interview a nanny

Postby kathy yvanovich » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi. Hope this helps! Each question may bring up answers at lightning speed...

What's important to you about the nanny you want?
What's important to your child/ren about the nanny you want?
What's important to the other people in your household about the nanny?
What sorts of references would you be happy with, written and verbal?
Does age, sex, previous experience, qualifications, colour, religion, native language/accent spoken, boyfriends, use of tv/dvd, games, craft, music, outdoorsy types, creative or geeky types, etc, use of house phone/computer, use of mobile, etc, matter to you?
Ideally, do you want her/him to live in? Work specific hours, or flexibly specific?
Do you want the house nanny-free at certain times, or in certain places?
Do you want a nanny that can drive your car if you have one, or who has their own, or who can confidently cope with public transport with your brood?
What values do you want to share - re. disciplining, rewarding, play, beliefs; creed; food, snacks, treats for the children; education; environments; cleanliness; friends; etc?
What do you want your nanny to actually do with the children? And when they're asleep/at school/with friends/when you want to be with them - what do you want your nanny to do at those times?
What else do you want nanny to do apart from being with the children - laundry/shopping/cleaning etc? How much?
When do you want them to start, pending refs. etc? How long is the probationary period, and how long do you want them to stay?
How much do you want to pay? And for overtime (define this as well) ?
Do you want to take them on holiday?
Who else could you ask that's actually qualified or experienced about interviewing a nanny?

My kids are over 20 now. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Kathy Yvanovich
you can see me on http://www.kathyyvanovich.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lauracham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lauracham » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:38 pm

I interviewed nannies recently for my daughter (then 10 months, now 16) and asked lots of the usual questions (there's a helpful list on the Abbeyville Nanny site, I think) but the absolute number one reason that I hired my nanny was because of the way she engaged with my little girl - spoke to her directly, picked her up, made her laugh, etc. You would be amazed at how many potential nannies didn't talk to the most important person in the room - the little person!

If you are using an agency, I'd very much recommend Fulham Nannies and use Nannytax to sort out all the tax. £250 very well spent. Also, make sure you have a contract setting out holidays, hours, etc.

Good luck!
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:20 pm

thanks - thats great advice!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.