How much does a nanny share cost? any examples

4 posts
beammeupscotty
Options:
Share this post on:

How much does a nanny share cost? any examples

Postby beammeupscotty » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Can anyone advise how much a nanny share costs? Im wondering if this might be a viable option for us but confused as to how its all worked out!

I understand it depends on how much you share, ideally I would like a full time share where we both use mon-Friday but I know thats hard to find. Anyone got any examples of cost of this and other shares where maybe its not split 50/50?

Thanks!
Balhammom
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How much does a nanny share cost? any examples

Postby Balhammom » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:47 am

Hi
Full time shares are usually split 50/50 but the variables are:

1. who has the house they use? Always using someones house does push the price down for that person.
2. the number of days. The assumption is that you'll both be using the nanny for the same time but if one family uses her more then they pay more.

If there is one thing I'd like to stress it's always always get a nanny share contract with the other family. I've seen real stress arise as people don't lay out what happens if:

1. one child doesn't like the nanny and the other does. What happens? Do they get a new one? Who pays the recruitment fees?
2. notice periods for the families in the share. What happens if one family wants to rip it up? Is it their responsibility to replace? What happens if the existing family doesn't like the new family?
3. what happens if one parents suddenly is on gardening leave? This happens more than one might think and two couples I know are still barely speaking to each other as one refused to pay when their husband was off work for three months before a new job
4. no poaching: again a family I know lost their nanny in a nanny share to the other family! she went full time with the other family and sacked one family. Really really upsetting for children and parents.
Biscuits
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Biscuits » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:01 am

What happens if one child is always sick and the parents refuse to take time off work and their tummy bugs etc get passed on to your child, then you?

If they do take time off if their child is sick, do they still pay the nanny?

If the nanny works at the other family's house but their child is sick and so they take time off work, they wouldn't want the nanny looking after your child at their house.

If their child is sick and the nanny is looking after both of them at your house - you might end up with vomit/body fluids from the other child all over your house.

What if the children just don't get on with each other?
astro
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby astro » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 am

Hi,

We pay £12/hour (after tax), split 50/50 between the 2 families at first. We did a week at each families house, and then when one family had a new baby we changed it to be just at our house. They pay us for food and extras. The other family dropped down to 3 days a week and we have reapportioned the cost accordingly.

It is expensive once you add in holidays, taxes, national insurance etc but much cheaper than employing someone on your own. For us it works out just slightly more expensive than a local full time nursery and has been thoroughly worth it due to the flexibility and close bond that she has developed with our son.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.