Labour says Rutherford House School unnecessary

2 posts
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Labour says Rutherford House School unnecessary

Postby papinian » Sun May 18, 2014 5:35 pm

I was listening to Any Questions on BBC Radio 4 yesterday when I heard Tooting MP Sadiq Khan talk about free schools in Balham/Tooting
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04368fr (the relevant part is 12 minutes in)

Question to Sadiq:
Correct me if I’m wrong Sadiq but haven’t you got a free school in Tooting actually and didn’t you welcome it.
Answer from Sadiq:
In Tooting a chronic shortage of primary school places, no free school there. They opened the free school where - in Balham where the parents want it - where there’s surplus places. If there was some cohenerence and coordination Michael Gove would work with the local council and the local council would explain to him where there’s a need for places where the school should go. That’s not where it’s going it’s going in a different part of the borough. This is an example of Michael Gove’s madness and obsession with his legacy.
I can't believe that an MP would spout such lies on national radio.

First, there is a free school in Tooting - Tooting Primary School - a two form school that started admitting pupils in September 2013. It's on Franciscan Road 5 minutes walk from Tooting Broadway underground station. Sadiq clearly knows about it because he mentions it on his website here:
http://www.sadiqkhan.org.uk/proposed_to ... ary_school

Secondly, there is a free school in Balham - Rutherford House School - a two form school that started admitting pupils in September 2013. It's on Balham High Road halfway between Balham underground station and Tooting Bec underground station. Given it's location approximately half of its pupils will come from Tooting - Upper Tooting, Heaver Estate, Upper Tooting Road, etc.

Given the existence of the two free schools and the location of Rutherford House School, I find it quite incredible that Sadiq Khan is claiming that Rutherford House School is unnecessary. I'm also a bit mystified as to where all these surplus primary school places in Balham are.

As some of you will know from my postings on other threads, I have mixed views on free schools and their implementation. However, I am shocked that an MP would lie about our schools to try to make a political point. I would ask those of you who live in Balham/Tooting borders in Bedford and Nightingale wards (and elsewhere) to remember this when you go to vote on Thursday.
jg75
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Labour says Rutherford House School unnecessary

Postby jg75 » Sun May 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Ha ha! I noticed that too and was gobsmacked about that barefaced lie - was discussing with my husband and we thought maybe he made a mistake he was unable to backtrack on!? (I was searching for a reason to give him the benefit of the doubt as was so cheeky.) problem is, I have no idea who to vote for now. I was also shocked by the poor arguments of the local Lib Dem councillor whose leaflet I received through the letterbox today, effectively comparing the Conservative councillors to Robert Mugabe...!