Newton Prep school reception 2019

3 posts
pati21
Options:
Share this post on:

Newton Prep school reception 2019

Postby pati21 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi all, I'm new to nappy valley! My DS is due to start reception this coming September at Newton Prep school. Was wondering if any current NP parents could give me some feed back about the school? We love the school but keep hearing the term academically ambitious and for bright children. Does that applies for reception as well? Don't really mind academically ambitious but wondering if the school is also nurturing. Also he isn't attending NP nursery, so he will be starting from reception. Anyone out there also starting from their reception and not from their nursery?
Thank you so much for your help.
Southsider
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Newton Prep school reception 2019

Postby Southsider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am

My daughter is in Year 1 at NP and we love it.  I'd say that it is academically ambitious, but I certainly didn't feel that in Reception which was a good mix of fun and learning.  More so this year which is definitely a step up, but the kids seem well supported through it. They try and get them a year ahead of where they should be so there is time to 'prep' for senior schools come that time but I imagine this is the case for most independents these days?  It's buzzy - there's lots of extra curricular stuff and some amazing facilities too.  We also didn't go to the nursery but that was the same for around 50% of the kids in our class so your DS won't be the only one.  Good luck for September, I'm sure you will be reassured as soon as you start.  

Edit: Also noticed you asked about NP being nurturing - I'm not an expert on either academics or the softer side of schooling but for me, there does seem to be a lot of focus on how to be a good friend, wellbeing and staying healthy and happy. My daughter has loved both of her teachers and her TAs which I have taken as a good sign.  I've found them open and honest and willing to talk any time. I hope that helps but if you'd like to chat at all, let me know  :)

Ramaboo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Newton Prep school reception 2019

Postby Ramaboo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 pm

my child is in nursery now, starting reception in Sept - and we have found them really nurturing and warm. I don't know how it will go in reception but I'd be surprised if they dropped all the warmth overnight. It does feel somewhat 'ambitious' but not overtly so. And I suspect we won't know until they are a bit older whether the academic approach suits or not.

Really happy with it so far

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.