Cranleigh Prep 11+

3 posts
Nasher1
Options:
Share this post on:

Cranleigh Prep 11+

Postby Nasher1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Given the competitiveness of local day schools we’re considering Cranleigh as a back up (A great back up! But since boarding isn’t our first choice it falls into this category for us.)

There is however a potential flaw in our back up plan. From what I can gather from the admissions information, their tests happen in the November the year before entry, so a good couple of months before the day schools have their tests.

With this in mind I can only assume that they also offer earlier, and will potentially have acceptance dates that fall before our preferred day schools.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?? There’s little point our pursuing this option if we’d need to accept an offer (should we get one) before hearing from the days schools.

Thank you!
Gullsands
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Cranleigh Prep 11+

Postby Gullsands » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:46 am

Suggest you ask Cranleigh Prep what their timetable is for offers, responses to offers etc, Nasher1.  You may well feel able to talk to them openly about your dilemma, and tell them that you are considering London day as well as boarding (you don't have to describe Cranleigh Prep as your "back-up", of course!) - in my experience, albeit from a few years ago now, most schools' registrars are very understanding and reasonable, and you will certainly not be the first parent in this situation. 

If it turns out that you will have to make a decision before the day-school exams have even happened, I think the worst-case is that you will have to pay a deposit for your child's place at Cranleigh which you will need to be prepared to forfeit in the event that s/he is then able to choose a London day place and this is your preferred option.  Apart from the deposit thing, which I know is not inconsiderable at all, you don't need to worry too much about accepting a place and then changing your mind later - there are always changes, sometimes right up to the first day of the first term of the new school year and it's something which the schools all have to factor in every year, much as I'm sure they would prefer not to have to!  It boils down to whether you are prepared to pay a deposit which you may have to forfeit later - but then you may decide you love Cranleigh Prep so much for your child that you want to go there anyway, even with a choice of London day schools too!
Georgie2
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Cranleigh Prep 11+

Postby Georgie2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am

I’m not so sure about the Prep but I know at a Cranleigh Senior they are totally transparent about their policy is offering places, wait list scenarios and getting the deposit back - which is an option there until a date which they specify. Try having an open chat with the registrar as I think they’ve very keen for prep boarders so you should be in a good position to negotiate deposit dates.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.