Any advice or Success with Mid-Term starts- or homeschooling advice while we wait?!

2 posts
BaySide18
Options:
Share this post on:

Any advice or Success with Mid-Term starts- or homeschooling advice while we wait?!

Postby BaySide18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Hello! We are returning to London from overseas for work at very short notice with two infants children. I’m not used to the UK school system and it is more complicated than we expected (here if you live in catchment your child can turn up on the day and must legally be offered a spot) - but we hope to be lucky as we know we may not have access to a school place for quite a while!

Weve spoken to the (state) school we’d prefer, where we have friends with children, and it sounds like it will be a game of luck if both kids get a spot - or when/if they do.

Does anyone have any advice? We do expect to be able to love very close (within 100m or so) but won’t have a rental until we arrive in early 2020. So that is also unknown.

Has anyone home schooled until a place pops up? Or had luck with mid term enrolment?

And lastly - coming from overseas where children tend to start school later we will be playing catch-up with one. The other we will need to home school to catch up 1 term and then any time until we get a school place.

Does anyone know how to get hold of information on reading levels etc expected for a Yesr 2 student? Or someone to help with homeschooling if we need to resort to this?

Thank you so much!!! I’m sure we aren’t the first to go through both issues! :P
Abbevilleteacher
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Any advice or Success with Mid-Term starts- or homeschooling advice while we wait?!

Postby Abbevilleteacher » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Hello,

I am a primary school teacher and have been teaching 6 and 7 year olds for 15 years.

I am currently completing a dyslexia qualification so am not working in a school at the moment. I would be happy to give you advice on the expected levels and have lots of time during the school hours (9am to 3pm)from September if you’d like any tutoring/teaching help.

I have sent you a private message with my contact details.

Thanks
Kate

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.